Noticeboard at my supermarket looking to buy 1966 50c coins

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bungo, Nov 21, 2011.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Good ol drug dealers lament. Someone is going to rip them off so it might as well be me

2. Ausecon

Ausecon Member

Yes (assuming of sound mind etc).

If I offer you to buy your car for a dollar would you? Probably not. Why, because you think it's worth more. You considered the offer and considered the value of the car and decided against it.

I don't see how it is any different. We're all adults (again assuming no disabilities etc)

Why should you apply a lower standard of decision making just because the item is smaller?

The other thing too is, what are we talking about here? Unless someone is selling 100s of the coins, and has no idea, it's literally likely to be a a few bucks. Hardly going to ruin someone and if they had no idea it was worth anything at all then by definition the offer is worth more than zero.

The offer is somewhat binary. Either they think it's worth nothing (in their mind) so the offer is greater than zero which is what they would've had without it, or they'll know its worth something and end up negotiating a price they think is fair or not accept the offer.

I can't think of too many instances where it'll fall somewhere in the middle.

Too be honest seems like a lot of effort to get a couple of coins and save a few dollars though.

Cheers

3. Ausecon

Ausecon Member

Sorry misunderstood if you were referring to ss members specifically. Waste of time really putting in low ball offers as most will have a price they want. Unless they are desperate which they'll probably state indirectly via being willing to sell at or near spot.

But yes i don't see an issue, but you probably want make any friends.

Cheers

4. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I am talking of threads with "PM me with offers" and no fixed price.

5. Evolution

Evolution Member

I think it's greatly unethical, bordering on fraud in my opinion. It's one thing to find someone selling round 50s below their value, if they haven't researched the item they're selling then that's on their head. But to seek out to buy them from people who in all likelihood don't know their value, then that's attempting to gain from people by decieving them about their items' value.

6. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

A lot of you are forgetting that people are very, very lazy.

People know that the buyer is getting something out of this transaction, but they accept a reduced fee for the convenience.

It is a trade-off.

7. Ausecon

Ausecon Member

Tell me how it is fraud when within 0.18 seconds you can know the value of the item if they weren't lazy. Seriously 0.18 seconds.

As an aside, when i was 12, i sold my parents large copper firewood bin accidentally at a garage sale. No idea what is was worth and sold it for $2. Took a hiding. Lesson learnt.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well you might be able to do it but my mother-in-law can't and it is the elderly and vunerable who get preyed on by these types of people.

Anyone who was collecting 50 cents back in the day collected them because they were silver. They just don't know what the current price of silver is. Gold is on the news everyday but silver doesn't get a mention, even when it went to $50 it was barely mentioned. Old timers don't know how to use the online calculators to work out the value.

Last year I was picking them up for $5-6 from eBay, this year they are going for $11-12, old folks don't go on eBay and probably don't know that they doubled their price and then dropped again by 30%. I doubt they spend much time on the forums either.

I offer spot, or more recently a flat rate of $10 each, I get plenty of takers, most hoarders put these aside at a cost of 50 cents and got them for face value without paying a premium. I buy them at the current value without paying a premium and then I can sell them at the premium rate without having to wait too long before I get my money back.

9. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Very true, I get allot of people selling at $8 that know they could get $10 elsewhere. What I offer is F2F, I come to you and people appreciate that. An example:
    You have 5 coins for sale, you get $40 instead of $50 from me but all you have to do is answer the door. No postage, no fuss.

All this talk that I have no morals is complete BS, erase the thought that only the elderly and PC illiterate answer to my ads because it's just not the case.
    It is nice to see some people here understand that.

10. Jislizard

By "These Types of People" I am not refering to you Roman1613. I am refering more to the double page spreads you see in the local newspapers about buyers coming to the local RSL and buying old coins, watches, cutlery, antiques and basically anything that has value which is hard to work out if you don't have internet access or are an expert in that field.

I am sure your morals are fine, people pay for a service and if they think that service is worth the convenience then they proceed.

11. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Dont worry roman only people that dont understand the concept of profit will say your doing the wrong thing . I say good on ya.The cheaper you get them the more profit you make.Your not scamming anyone your simply putting an offer out there...its their choice to accept

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm with Roman on this. He's working the market to the obvious advantage and employing the free market price discovery mechanism model to achieve a profit.

Auscu is currently selling 50c coins here http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-18563-for-sale-200x-round-50c-1966.html

He is starting high and working his way down until he finds a price that's agreeable for buyer and seller to agree to.

The supposed ideal of 'fair price' is honestly based on what people - a massively manipulated spot price?

Think about it.

If Roman can secure at a cheaper price and the seller is keen, take the opportunity by all means and let the natural market cycle dictate what's fair, just and moral in the exchange.

As long as both parties agree, it's perfectly fine IMHO.

13. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Do you agree with Cash4Gold by extension then? :p

*attempts to park ice cream van outside a primary school* @_@

14. bungo

bungo Member

So, I contacted the number on the flyer and asked a couple of questions.

Not trolling, as such, just curious as to what the person's sales spiel is.

The response to my question "Can I ask, why do you collect these? Aren't they worth 50c?" was:

"I'm just starting to get into coin collecting. I think the 1966 50c pieces are great bc it was the only year they were made round in shape!"

Nice explanation!! ;) Mmmm, round. To be honest, I'd come up with a similarly lame-assed reason as well if I was in their shoes.

15. Jislizard

I also like round coins, how about posting the phone number so we can all offer the seller a selection of round coins!

Can we at least agree that this seller is being a little disingenuous?

16. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, that's just deceptive behaviour.

17. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Expecting honesty from a guy trying to rip people off is a bit much

18. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't and don't.
    I have only been asked a couple times why I want them and my answer has always been for the silver content. If they ask what the silver content is worth then you let them know but explain how volatile the silver price is, and how in order to make it worth your while you need to buy a little lower.
    There are ways to get people to part with them in an honest fashion, that guy is just being a dick. The line is crossed if you lie to get what you want.

19. fosinator

fosinator Member

Next week my dad's mate is bringing me his '66 50's next week after a few discusions about silver.I dunno how many hes got maybe half a dozen I told him $10 each.He's happy with that.He said probly would have bought a beer back then , I said it'll buy about 4 now :)BTW, there is only 1 type of 66 round 50cent isnt there? As in not another from that year with no silver in it? Im sure ill be able to tell.sorry for the dumb question.

20. Jislizard

Just the one! There is a variety called the double bar variety but I would not worry too much about that, it may add a small additional premium if the coins are in mint condition but if they are worn it will make no difference to the value.