So, if silver actually goes to the moon.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wilkes, Oct 11, 2011.

1. wilkes

wilkes Member

How will you sell it? Assuming you have 500oz and the price hits $500 (this is all for example purpose only) then you may decide to offload $750,000+ worth of the stuff!

What options would you have for offloading a large and expensive amount of metal? Obviously you could do small time sales or trades with individuals or smaller dealers and some refiners may buy it from you.

I suppose my real question is, when silver goes through the roof, who will be able to afford to take such large amounts off our hands and how hard will it be to offload? Would we be forced to sell at spot prices or melt value?

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I dont know but I cant wait :D

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

@ $500/oz I would sell dragons @ spot :D

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I think that will be the problem with a rush of sellers .The smart money will sell it on the way up & be happy with their gains not wait until it tops out & there is a mass selloff.

5. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

You guys just dont get it do you?

If silver ever goes to such crazy prices, $100 wont buy you a bus fare. Its not about how much richer you'll be it simply preservation of wealth. :rolleyes:

6. Iluvnumbers

Iluvnumbers Member

7. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

If silver is an industrial metal with growing demand, and a finite supply. Wouldn't the market forces of supply and demand (ignoring paper manipulation for the moment) cause a rise in price that outstrips inflation? Making silver more than a simple preservation of wealth?

8. Turk

Turk Active Member

(Umm, you would only have $250,000 to sell - with 500oz times $500! ;) )

When this happens you will sell it just like we sell gold today - only cheaper! The margin of coin premium over melt value will not be a huge issue like it seems to be at today's low prices.

9. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Thats the way i tend to look at it

10. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

except for Pandas ;)

11. Lav

Lav New Member

You can't really say I think, you will just have to wait and keep up with world economics and analyse how things are going to make the best decision.

12. Recon

Recon New Member

Definitely not an issue. Gold went from $20 to $1800 and people still buy that off you. Same thing can happen to silver.

The question itself is silly. Its like saying, if you suddenly won the lottery, who on earth would take all that money off you? The answer is, anybody with goods to sell that you're willing to buy. If you suddenly found out that your $50,000 stack of silver was worth a million dollars, you would not be unloading it all. You'd just enjoy the fact that much smaller bits of silver would be able to buy the things you need.

That is of course, assuming a deflation in prices against silver (which is likely) simultaneous to the hyperinflation of the dollar. The dollar won't buy jack, but silver will buy plenty. Look at the price of fuel today (in silver) vs 10 or 15 years ago. Then ask if there's any reason to complain about the price of fuel. Its pretty cheap when you look at it that way.

As long as the market functions at all, there will be people who will take your silver in exchange for what you need.

13. Jag

Jag New Member

if my growing stack goes to the moon I will be a very happy little stacker!!!!!

14. Irondog

Irondog New Member

I have difficulty seeing AG going over $100. At that price, silver would be coming out of the woodwork to supply the market demand. To sell at $500, I don't see a buyer on the other side of the table, unless there's a radical change in the GSR. At $500, we would see industrial use of AG decline as substitute alloys would be significantly cheaper and, perhaps, almost as good.

Natural silver cycle...
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110511114307.htm

Is silver really needed to purify water? (David Morgan suggests that is a probable source of demand)
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100906162326.htm

Morgan often talks about significant demand coming from increasing production of PV solar panels and reflective parabolic mirror solar collectors. PV panels' days, as an efficient/cost effective source of solar power, are numbered. The parabolic mirror tech is past tense at this point. New tech like quantum dots and other flexible laminate solar cells will come on line soon, probably reducing the overall demand for silver from the solar energy industry....

It was a fun excersise in mental gymnastics to think about my stack being worth mega bucks though....

15. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Silver at $500/oz we can assume the physical/paper markets have de-coupled to the point where premiums are not an issue - $500 silver means an oz of silver is worth $500 and paper silver is worth about $6 per ream.

The only way silver will reach $500 is if good old Supply Vs Demand pushes it in that direction - in which case you decide to sell when the market reaches $500 the market will pay $500.

My thinking is if silver reaches that kind of price I will not be selling it for Fiat ($500 silver = worthless fiat). But using silver as real money to buy house land etc. So your 500 oz might not be $250, 000 worth but more a house or section of land.

16. Irondog

Irondog New Member

It'd be nice to see Canada, US and Mexico (and everyone else too) make a move to monitize silver again and have silver coins circulate alongside the regular fiat. Utah has taken a small step in the right direction....and those $20 for $20 1/4 oz Canadian canoes seem like an experiment to test the concept. Monitization would provide real upward pressure on price....

17. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

I dont doubt that an oz of silver will have far greater buying power in the future but I think some of our members are in for a rude shock before this lot plays out.The people behind this managed collapse are not fools and it is not their intention to fill our pockets on the contrary, to control the masses they need to control wealth. Wealth = power.

18. Recon

Recon New Member

Silver could easily go over $100. All it would have to do is double 50. 50 is double 25 and we're already above that. Remember just a few years ago when silver was $5. Back then imagining $40 silver was crazy. When people say they can't imagine X price of something, they just need to remember that the unit you're pricing it in (dollars) is NOT a fixed value. If dollars held a fixed value then yes I'd agree. But the dollar can get chopped in half (again) quite easily, and wow you'd have your $100 silver.

As for who would buy it when its $500, well remember how markets work. The price isn't set arbitrarily by someone. Its not like some entity decided that silver is $500 and everyone just looks at each other going "um no I'm not buying it for that". If the market price goes to 500 that means that people are buying it for 500. Its impossible for there to be a lack of buyers at market price. When there is a lack of buyers, the price drops. That's why market prices change.

19. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Depends on whether silver is still going up in price or whether it is on its way down.

On the way up I would be selling to anyone who got in late and wants to jump on the band wagon.

On the way down I would be selling it to silver stackers who would be backing the truck up!

In all honesty I want to be buried with my silver and none of you will ever get anywhere near it, it is mine, all mine and you can't have it.

20. Ikikyabut

Ikikyabut New Member

+1