anyone else got that feeling something is about to give?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by leo25, Sep 22, 2011.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

leo25, this is a family forum - due to the young age of some of our posters and visitors images like that are not appropriate for posting here.

2. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.reuters.com/article/video/idUSTRE78M25020110923?videoId=221888303

Quote by a Mr Richard Bove of Rochdale Securities, Tampa Folorida USA: "I think it should be understood that there is a massive difference between whats going on with European banks and American banks. American banks are not in trouble in any way shape or form. European banks definitely are......" end quote.

3. LvM

LvM Member

I never said I was comparing apples with apples so to speak.

This is what I said:

"Most PCs that are sold are low end and thus low quality, whereas Macs are either mid-range (the plastic ones) or high end (the metal ones) and are thus more reliable."

I totally agree that there are PCs out there with quality to equal that of macs, I just said that most people don't buy them.

I love it when people argue against what they think you said as opposed to what you actually did say.

4. LvM

LvM Member

Thank you for my computer 101, it was most informative.

However, I never said Macs are better just because, what I said was:

"Most PCs that are sold are low end and thus low quality, whereas Macs are either mid-range (the plastic ones) or high end (the metal ones) and are thus more reliable."

Shall I put it another way for you: when you buy a Mac you are at least buying a mid-range or high end product. There is no such thing as a cheap and crappy Mac as there are with PCs. The majority of PCs sold are low-end quality, and just to be clear, I will repeat, I never stated or implied that there is no such thing as a high quality PC, just that most people don't buy them.

Really? That is excellent logic. Not many Yugos were sold but everybody knows they are less reliable.

You are saying they all have the same components, I am saying that all cars these days have components from the same suppliers (Bosch, Delphi, Lear, Tenneco etc.) but there is a huge difference between the quality and reliability of the components in a Mercedes Benz compared to a Chery (for example). As you would expect for the price difference. Just you as you would expect for a $500 PC laptop versus a $2000 Apple laptop.

The only point I am making is that when you are buying a Mac you are at least buying a mid range or high end product.

Anybody who has ever held in their hands a MacBook Pro or Air versus any Dell would be able to identify the superior design and build quality.

5. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Yep PC laptops are rubbish. Cheap, plastic, rubbish. If you are going to buy a LAPTOP, buy a Mac. They are more durable than the PC laptops in my experience. It's not the internal hardware that's any better ... it's the casing. My work computer is a cheap Dell laptop, only 2 years old, and it's already had to have random bits of plastic replaced twice on it (including the clip that keeps it shut when you close it!). My wife has a 4 year old Macbook Pro and it's still like new though.

If you are going to buy a DESKTOP on the other hand, that's a different story. PC desktops are not ALL rubbish. The ones you would buy at Harvey Normal or JB HiFi are crap. Don't buy an HP or Dell or etc etc. ... but build one yourself out of GOOD components and they can be excellent (and not much more expensive). Spend the money on a decent power supply and case (preferably an all-aluminium one), which will last you through several PCs into the future. Monitors last a long time too.

Current PC cost me $2100 in 2007 and still going well (Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, a nice Lian Li case from a previous machine). Whacked in a new hard drive and video card this year (~$350) but everything else is original and still runs the latest games etc. very well (so it's not underpowered by any means). It'll still be fine for another 3 years at least, so I would have got a 7 year lifespan for a $2500 expenditure. Not bad.

6. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

All well and good, unless you actually need to connect to something in a Windows environment.

Whilst I completely agree that there's a lot of cheap, crappy laptops on the market, which do fall apart if you sneeze on 'em, if you're willing to lash the price of a MacBook Pro, you CAN also obtain a Windows based laptop with a good build quality and a long life expectancy.

It's a bit unreasonable to compare a $2,500 Macbook Pro with a $800 Dell/HP/Metoo unit and expect the same build quality and longevity.

Your comments on the desktop space are spot on, again, just IMHO.

7. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Keep in mind you can run Windows on a Mac. My Macbook has OS X and Win 7 installed on it - dual boot. So connecting to stuff in Win environment is no issue. (Alternatively, run Windows in a VM)

But you're right - there are good PC laptops out there at the higher end. Problem is not many people seem to buy those, even though they are worth it in the long run. :(