STORAGE FOR SMALL AMOUNT

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fiddy mil, Jun 2, 2011.

1. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Meeting Rooms - are available at many of our storage Centres so you can meet your clients or staff in privacy and comfort.

Complimentary Tea and Coffee - is available to make your visits to our Centres just that little bit more comfortable.

Wireless Hotspots - wireless connectivity is now available in several locations This allows customers to log on to the internet and communicate in our storage centres. And, the best part... IT'S FREE!

Next silver stacker meetup location. :)

2. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

Always wanted for my bars to have free drinks and internet, its so modern :D

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

That's an option for a future one - July looks sorted however.

4. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Banks are generally good for protecting against theft by common thieves, but very bad for protecting against theft from government

5. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Yes - thats the first place the thieves in Washington went to after banning gold from being held by individuals in the great US of A in the 1930's...
    And its the first place the Ozzie government would go looking if they did the same here - particularly under the current crazy government.

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Not sure if its the same in the US, but here in "well regulated" Ozz, even the private vaults / storage places require you to fill out detailed paperwork for AUSTRAC detailing exactly what you're storing - supposedly as counter money laundering measures to counter terrorism! :lol:
    What a croc!

It's there simplify to make it easy for the government to help themselves to your private assets whenever they get the urge...
    They wont stop until every single ornament or anything of any value over a certain amount will need to be "registered" or licensed or what have you ... so that they have complete and utter control.

7. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree.

Has anyone used Kennard's boxes?

8. livejazz

livejazz New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102#The_myth_of_a_safe_deposit_box_seizures_order

In fact, safe deposit boxes held by individuals were not forcibly searched or seized under the order, and the few prosecutions that occurred in the 1930s for gold hoarding were executed under different statutes. One of the few such cases occurred in 1936 when the safe deposit box of Zelik Josefowitz, who was not a U.S. citizen, containing over 10,000 troy ounces (310 kg) of gold was seized with a search warrant as part of a tax evasion prosecution.[10] In 1933 approximately 500 tonnes of gold were turned in to the Treasury "voluntarily" at the exchange rate of $20.67 per troy ounce.

9. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

he had 310 kilos of gold ....

have to wonder how he felt handing it over to the US government ...

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11884073

http://preciousmetalnews.com/2010/08/31/executive-order-forbids-gold-hoarding-in-1933/

gets more interesting

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,847704,00.html

To the Liberty Street branch of Manhattan's Chemical Safe Deposit Co. last week went Captain William H. Houghton, U. S. Secret Service chief in New York, and two assistants. They had received, a tip that one Zelik Josefowitz was hoarding a large store of gold coin. Armed with a search warrant, they opened the safe deposit box held by Zelik Josefowitz and two other members of the Josefowitz family. Inside were four bags, the weight of which convinced the agents that their search was ended. Opened, the bags revealed a treasure in the form of $20 gold pieces. For three hours the agents counted, found 10,000 coins in the Josefowitz treasure trove.

10. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Sucks. Why did he have all that gold? Do you think he was more or less happy that his gold was in someone else's hands seeing as though he was doing nothing with it anyway? I guess if he was unhappy about it, maybe not having the gold in the first place would have prevented him from feeling that way and ensure he was kept happy.

I have a pretty good idea of how he'd be feeling! But of course, that is assuming he placed a lot of his worth on the possession of all those gold coins.
    If you placed as much physical value on a pot plant, you would be just as saddened by the loss at the death of the plant.

So what is more valuable? The gold or the plant? Neither. They are both equally as valuable to someone who sees beyond the value of a possession and equally have felt little sadness or suffering by the loss of either.

11. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Moral of the story - buy a pot plant.. at least you can smoke it :)

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

As the holder of both bank and private safe deposit facilities, I can assert that this statement is absolute rubbish for both the bank and non-bank vaults I use - proper vaults - not spruiked-up self storage facilities or some box the bank manager places in a communal safe for me.

Proof of identity? Yes (and naturally). Details of box contents? No. Could be a blue dress with a stain for all they care.

13. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

Sock drawer with location marked with GPS coordinates.

14. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Also, as suggested previously, make sure to have a drawn map too, because GPS might go offline when the SHTF. ;)

15. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

Not funny. Not constructive. Can we please stick to serious and academic discussion only? Cheers.

16. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

It was kind of funny.

17. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. BBQ

BBQ Member

A creative spot at a trusted friend's place different to your "delivery address" and "home address", in my opinion.
    There have been some very good suggestions already.

Just make sure nothing gets nasty between you two! :)
    And enjoy the $0.00 cost of storage and complete security in my opinion.

The last thing I'd want to do is trust the biggest crooks in the business (the banks) to my savings :)

Any unstable world / local event causing people to withdraw funds from their banks en masse will result in the closure of the banks and the freezing of your assets, in my opinion.

This may be paranoid talk for most Australians but financially and war-wise, we are living on the edge as it is. Many innocent people aren't even alive to have the luxury of stating we are living on the edge. In my opinion, your wealth belongs to you and the less third-party meddling the better for you. We have far less control than we should over our own destinies as it is.

Long story short, get creative!
    ;)

19. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

The secret combination for these is - "sledge hammer"

20. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

A small story about burying items in the ground.
    I once went overseas and thought it a good idea to bury some valuables in what I thought was a well sealed screw cap container, in the ground rather than leave the valuables in the house. There was heavy rain while I was away which covered the top of the container and seeped in. I had some rolls of foreign currency cash in the container (not a lot - just odd bits from overseas trips) as well as sterling silver jewellery. When I got back I didnt bother to check on it as I thought it would be OK and safe left where it was.
    Months later when I opened the container all the silver was black and the paper money saturated and stuck together. Luckily the amount of silver I had then was not much and I managed to peel the notes apart and dry them. Motto - make sure containers really are water tight, make double sure by using zip lock bags as well. Maybe dont bury in the ground if you are subject to flooding, it is virtually impossible to keep water or dampness out if left in the open ground over a long time!

I know someone who made a built in safe in the concrete pad when building a house. It was so well sunk (and hidden beneath a carpet) and reinforced in concrete that it would have needed explosives or jackhammers to get at it - silly b... had the combination to it written down in an obvious place not far away though because he kept forgetting it!