Can they take legal tender bullion coins away from you?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Guest, May 16, 2011.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting psychology here.... Think about it. We seem to be seeing the government as an independent entity that is separate from us, and that is potentially in opposition to us by taking our belongings illegally.

When did government become something that is separate from and in opposition to the people of Australia? Had it now reached the point where the general perception is that the government is no longer a representative of the interests of the citizens of Australia, but rather a self serving entity that exists to serve it's own interests at the expenses of the citizens of the country?

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

yeah its called taxes... excessive and unwarranted and unavoidable :)

3. Turk

Turk Active Member

Ummm, Carbon Tax.

(ducks!)

4. ble2002

ble2002 New Member

http://goldchat.blogspot.com/2008/11/australian-gold-confiscation.html

"the Act only refers to gold, not silver"

"Therefore I see no inconsistency with Commonwealth law if a State passes a law making existing gold and silver coins (at their market value) legal tender. However, there is a catch. Section 23 states that "the GovernorGeneral may, by Proclamation, call in any coins issued under this Act or the repealed Acts before a date specified in the Proclamation."

"Section 23 is effectively another confiscation mechanism, but with the implication that it can be used not just to recall gold coins but also any Perth Mint silver coins. Note also that any proof/collectible coins issued by the Perth Mint are also done so under the Currency Act 1965 so numismatic coins clearly have no protection. Therefore, while coins have advantages when moving between countries due to their legal tender status, that legal tender status puts them at risk of confiscation, so one should prefer bars to coins if one is concerned about confiscation."

Under the current law, the government cannot take your silver if it is in bar form. Also the law does not allow the government to take foreign coins, only their own. Hence you should not hold Perth mint coins.

5. gin-kin

gin-kin New Member

This is the right answer.
    It's only gonna take one western country to do it for many others to follow. It happens already many times over in third world countries.
    It it does start, Aust may be one of the last to confiscate/buy back - it will follow suit here no doubt.

I think it happened when psychopaths realized that instead of killing a few people here and there, they could rise to these positions of power and inflict ruin and misery upon many many people all in one go - and all the while put crap loads of money in their pockets.
    The traits required to excel in these high positions of power are perfectly suited to the psychopath way if doing things.

Yes

6. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

Since governments these day are no longer representative of the people, they are shelter for corrupt self serving bureaucrats, they'll do what they want when they want, logical or otherwise. If they want to confiscate your legal tender gold/silver coins all they have to do is enact the law to do so.

The best defense you got is Secrecy... if they don't know you got them, they won't and can't take them.

7. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

If you havent figured that out yet ...

Only the dumbest of the dumb could still possibly think that government truly gives a sh1t about what its citizens think.
    They will simply lie and bribe their way in come the next election as they know people are as dumb as sh1t!

8. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

this question is why I am a tad nervous with investing in ASEs, but I am of the paranoid type

9. Guest

Guest Guest

"THE ONLY PURPOSE OF A GOVT IS TO IMPROVE THE LIVING STANDARDS OF ITS PEOPLE"

That was a quote from some old American statesman can't remember who but this statement has been burn't into my pysche.
    A govt is not there to govern our lives or restrict our freedoms or tell us how to live our lives according to its laws.

We have become trapped in debt by the fiat system struggling to find the hours to repay this debt.Because of this we don't have the time to depose and rebel against the everyday atrocities that are imposed upon us by those sick individuals in power.
    9/11 took away most of our rights as free citizens with a right to criticise the govt overnight,there were terroristsand we elected them!

REDBACK

10. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

So in a nut shell they can confiscate the Gold and Silver.... Under what circumstances can they enact this law?

Other than secrecy what is the solution? I want to set up a SMSF that is heavily weighted in physical gold and silver so for the SMSF that is out of the question.

Cheers

Chris

11. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

You're 100% right there Redback. That's why they organised 911 ... as an excuse to take away all civil liberties and bring into being the police/fascist state we see today.

12. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I'd still be going for a SMSF if i were you... its better than the alternative.

But ultimately the only way to stop the thieving by government would be to elect a libertarian government to power where citizens' common law rights are restored and respected and they are protected from big coercive government.

Have a look here - its a darn good read!

http://down-with-power.com/index.html

13. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

I was JUST about to say that :p, just dont do it in front of them cause burning legal tender is actually illegal (as far as i know) ....

14. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Well..either pay tax or pay some independent body every time you want to catch a bus, pay for your rates and water... The difference is, the independent private corporation wants a profit. Government is theoretically a not for profit organisation. A co-op, if you will. Where whoever pays into it is entitled to an equal share of the services bought. So you give a dollar and you are entitled to a dollar of pension or subsidised transport or whatever. Id rather be taxed than have to pay for EVERYTHING out of my back pocket.

this is another debate though.. everyone hates being taxed, but who here loved the FREE EDUCATION you got? The money has to come from somewhere.

15. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

16. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Unfortunately, both direct and indirect taxation is currently happening to most Australians.

My education, from primary through to secondary shool was not free, in that my parents had to pay the school every term. The reality is that, with the exception of my wife, I literally do not know anyone in my sphere of friends, aquaintances or business associates that had a claimed free education.

17. zurnaik

zurnaik Member

You make a big assumption that government 'services' are as efficiently run as 'private' run services.

Do you know how many highly paid beaurocrats it takes behind the scenes to run that "free" education? As in end to end. From the point of collecting your precious taxes (with all the overheads associated with that) to the point of it actually getting to benefit someone. How many cents in the dollar do you think actually end up as an end-benefit?

Last time I checked I still pay to catch a bus, and it seems that every time I go to buy a bus ticket the price has gone up...so I am now being taxed from behind as well as in front.

If our 'taxes' were used to supposedly set up this whole infrastructure of water, busses and eduction how come we are still paying ongoing and increasing after-tax royalties for the usage of our own utilities? If we collectively 'own' the water in this commonwealth and the government takes a tax to pay for capturing that water with us 'taxpayers' as the beneficiaries then why are we still paying ongoing and increasing water rates? The government is merely acting the same as these 'independent private corporations' you refer to by demanding ongoing dividends (profits) on investment (our investment) which was supposed to be for our benefit anyway. The difference is the government co-erces these profits by force rather than by competitively providing a value-added product or service.

18. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone could say their education was free, however even the schools that are private and directly funded by mums and dads are still heavily subsidised by the government. I doubt there is a school in this country that hasn't had government funding of some sort.

You are right, no one is exempt from taxation in one form or another. RBA inflation is proof of that!

19. Flip

Flip New Member

i dont own any legal tender, silver or gold, never have

20. Jakpot

Jakpot New Member

that is so true.. EVERYONE SHOULD get a copy of the above 2 items and know your rights....

most current laws to date are FULL OF S**T and ILLEGAL if you ask me..