Silver or Gold what is it tonight?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dusty, Apr 30, 2011.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think Maloney is a bit too religious about all this. He is perhaps thinking hyperinflation prices.
    These peoiple are postive but there a few off the edge of reality propositions there I think
    http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1286287320.php

or if you want unsubstantiated alarmist 'enquirer' type articles, try beforeitsnews.com

2. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

wow. nicely put. Very eloquent. That being said, I'v owned a Porsche (first car actually) ...but it wasn't more than anyone else has paid for a nice commodore that was somewhat newer.

The eggs in the basket is a good point. I think the 'accessibility' of silver to more of the public will make it gain more.

3. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

I've only been stacking since 2007. I've already seen times when my gold has way outperformed the silver vs fiat and vice-versa. I purchased 6 oz of palladium as a taster and that out performed gold and silver for a while.
    When silver hit $21US no one would have dreamed it would soon drop to $9US. I figure many new silver buyers did not experience this. When I read some of the cocky posts on this site, part of me wants silver to drop back down to $9-$17 an oz and sit there for a year or two again. People like John (Stellaconcepts) went through that period and are perhaps more weary. The same arguments for silver have been trotted out for a long time. Granted, times do seem to be changing though ;)

4. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

My next purchase will probably be platinum lol :cool:

5. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I dont believe the kind of prices he touts as being hyperinflational at all. if they were we'd be talking billions and trillions of dollars per ounce - certainly not thousands.

Time will tell, but given the amount of fiat created in the past couple of years at the touch of a keyboard, i reckon its those who find $1000/Oz silver and $15 000/Oz gold a fantasy to be the ones who are delusional, not Maloney

6. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

Yes, and chances are it will.

This bull market didn't start yesterday....it's been going for 10 years. It's just that most people only realised yesterday.

C

7. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

8. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

BEFORE this PM bull market can come to and end the governments of the major economies of the world would have to first throw out keynsian economics - which means that they will have to throw out unsustainable debt based growth ...

Do you see that happening any time soon??? i certainly dont...

9. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

The video i linked to above explains this fact very well!

10. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

Not any time soon, otherwise I wouldn't still be in PM's.

10 years is a long time.

C

11. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

"Silver's affordability per oz compared with gold just makes it open to so many more people. "

Some people like silver because you get lots of it for the same price.
    I do
    Rather than a small coin you get a great big pile of it , lots of large gleaming coins to hold instead of just one.
    So its great value for money.you get a great deal more of it.Great heavy lumps of it.

But its,of course,not more affordableor value for money,its just a different price.A small 1/10 costs $180. 4 silver coins $200.If you can afford 4 four silver coins you can afford one gold.
    The effect is illogical and irrational.I confuse large and more with better .
    And even though I know this,the effect remains.
    Put a 1kg silver block in one hand and an 1 oz gold in the other and see what I value more.

12. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

lol - bigger is generally better! trust me on that one... lol

13. hunchy

hunchy New Member

So that's an interesting point. Lateral thought - if the price of Ag goes ballistic - is a 1KG bar too big? Should we be stacking smaller bars, say 10oz, just to make them more "liquid"?

14. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

On the bright side, stackers, Ag contain 47 electrons per atom. (Ag+ ions in solution do not.)

Molar mass of pure Ag is 107.87g/mol.

That means each gram of elemental Ag contains 107.87mol of silver atoms.

Thats 6.022141510^23 atoms/mol X 107.87mol = 6.49608 X 10 ^25 atoms

Multiply that by 47 = 3.05316 X 10^27 electrons per gram of pure Ag

(Uncertainties not fully disclosed, plus or minus a few quadrillions for uncertainties in Avogadro Constant)

Okay, nerd-fest over.

15. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

OK so if gold is $15,000 what would be the price of milk and bread ? What would be your wage/Salary at that time ? If your telling me that bread will still be 2-4 dollars a loaf you might need to redo your math. When gold was $200 - $600 what was the price of milk and bread ? (what were the prices of things in general) Hell i could play games at timezone for 40c !

Yeh gold will grow with inflation (thats why we are all here) BUT how much do you think gold will outpace it ?

Let say bread is $50 dollars a loaf and gold is $15000 an ounce we wouldn't be any richer then we are now, we would be in the same sort of position that we are in now, difference is we wont be any poorer. That is REALLY the ONLY thing that gold and silver will help us with. The thing with gold and silver is that when high inflation starts to take hold (kind of like now) and our wages dont reflect that change, (cause it never goes as fast) then we have a buffer of which we move at the same rate of inflation for the amount of wealth we have in gold and silver. Cause seriously, who cares about nominal prices 15K, 1.5M, 2.5Trill its all relative to our wage. If bread is $80 dollars a loaf, if im getting $800K a year and gold is at $20,000 then no difference.

So mike may be right on nominal prices but what kind of world would we live in when gold is at $20K an ounce in terms of other daily goods.

16. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Industrial demand is the key to the continuing value for Silver. It has so many uses & in the alternate energy world is the number one precious metal. So buy it now & if you don't need to sell it hold, hold, hold. $100 - $150 - $500 $1K ?....Absolutely, within a few years IMHO.

17. 1diracing

1diracing New Member

On ebay a man in my same town had a 5 day aution for 3-1 troy oz. epm brand and 1- 10 troy ounce brand engelhard, all 13 in mint con. I PM'd him w/ my # and he phoned and I ended up only paying 500 for all 13, 4 peices. He lived three miles down the road and was selling them for his girlfreind. I understand this is my first post but, come on :what a score" Happy to be here, to make this short my granfather use to make me take may paper route money and go to shows and made me buy silver, it was I think 6-7 dollars. He was a very smart man.
    1diracing

18. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

That may help when selling to small time investors, however for most it would never be a problem to purchase a 1kg bar.

19. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

no thank you - premiums on 10 Oz 'ers are far too high!

20. Nub Cannon

Nub Cannon New Member

i want to try n pick some more gold in the near future, its so yellow and pretty :p