WTF IS GOING ON with all the new levies???

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by SpacePete, Dec 18, 2015.

1. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

PS, we save about $800.00 per year drinking FRESH milk.

2. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

OMG...Bundaberg is a major grower of sweet potatoes...Up here you can buy a 6x4 trailor of sweet potatoes for $20..Rejects from Woolworths and Coles!(They are too big or too small) $1 a kilo is the going price up here.. I guess I will have to pay an extra cent. :D Besides hundreds of kilos are left to rot in the fields. What a wasteful society we live in.

Regards Errol 43

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Even more wasteful if they had to pay the labour, storage and transport costs to send the excess harvest to a market where there is not enough demand. It's the lesser of two evils. ;)

4. Ghost

Ghost Member Silver Stacker

Nah, that's the Vatos Tax... :D

5. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Please tell me you mean you save $800 by not having to buy milk at all, rather you save $800 worth of tax, because that would be a lot of milk haha.

6. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

not unlike recent happenings i know of. tonnes of plums left to rot on the trees and many half tonne bins that were already picked were tossed to the cows. all because the none of the agents at the wholesale markets in brisbane would take them. but it's OK, you want some plums just go to coles and woolies, only big $$$$/KG. the wholesale market system is very corrupt.

going to be something on ABC TV soon i believe.

7. mmm....shiney!

Or it's simply too costly to harvest and not worth the effort.

8. iceblue

Yep, we dont buy milk, we normally go thru 2-3 ltrs a day, more in the hot weather for milkshakes!

9. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

mm...shiney^^^^Supply and demand would force the price down if all the fruit was marketed. Maybe more people would buy if the price was cheaper..The farmer doesn't earn more because most of them are on contracts to supply to either the Big 2 super markets. What am I saying? I'm contradicting myself..

The old days of marketing are long gone...Looks like the people will continue to pay top price for plentiful fruit and veges.

Regards Errol 43

10. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

When I joined all the dots, I got out of drinking milk years ago. Exploiting cows (raping and stealing babies) then killing the calves is such a low act. Akin to puppy farms. Most people don't get it though--puppies are cute, so that must be worse. :/
    .. Not to mention the total calcium lies. The world's largest dairy consumers have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

11. mmm....shiney!

Exploiting cows? There's a new one.

12. kramer

kramer Member

I bought sweet potatoes last week at acacia ridge fruit shop for 9c per kg.. Ridiculous and delicious!

13. iceblue

So am guessing you dont wear leather or have leather products, nor eat beef, lamb,pork or chicken? lol.
    Calves (not babies) are taken away from the cow after about 24 -48 hours, the reasons we leave them there for 24 -48 hours are because the cow only produces colostrum for about 24 - 48 hours, after that the cows make TOO MUCH milk to leave the calf on them, if we left the calves on the mum they would scour and die of dehydration.
    The female calves go into a large shed and are fed and looked after, the mums can visit and see their calves.
    The male calves get sold to the calf buyer, he picks out which he will sell on as bulls, the others are reared for veal.
    The cows enjoy being milked, they rush into the shed and chow down on some grain while we milk them, a full bag of milk is not comfortable for a cow and if not milked can cause mastitis which can kill them.
    Yep a plate of green vegies will give you some calcium.

14. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Drinking milk is definitely a health hazard and a scam. I stopped drinking it years ago, went off all dairy food, and haven't looked back.

15. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

Oh, it's worth the effort. stonefruit has been their living for a generation. no agent wanted the plums this year, saying they couldn't sell them. funny how you can take some boxes to a farmers market and they sell themselves. here lies the key in my opinion- the farmer is much better being the person who sells direct to the consumer. both the farmer and the consumer benefit. as it is now the farmer gets paid just enough to make him do it again next year and the middle men make all the money, adding to the final price but not the true value of the product.