Will we ever recover?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilverNash, Jan 9, 2012.

1. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

Those of us who have recently started stacking (from mid november) when you add up the total of money spent on silver and then what its worth have you questioned why you started stacking?

I spent a total of 250 (249.86) on silver and am currently just touching the 150 mark in its actual worth.
    As a long-term investor i am hopeful but, who really has given up?

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

That sounds like a pretty cheap lesson to me. 100 quid that is only a few reference books and cups of coffee.

- What research did you do before your first purchase.

- Why did you get into Silver in the first place.

- What did you buy. (edit just saw your Sig)
    4X 1oz Taku, (Generic goes on bullion value)
    2X scotsdale "The One" (as above)
    2X local jewellers own 25g 999 bars (even less than above)
    1X Apmex 2012 dragon 1/2 Oz round (not a key in any series)

- So what have you learned from this experience so far.

Answer these questions honestly, and you may see why it has turned out the way it has for you.

3. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

Like i said i'm hopeful for silver, so I'm not too fissed before this goes down that path.

Research-
    2 months watching the price of silver gradually climb with 2 nice drops after that, in which i made my purchases.

I got into silver as a long term investment (whether profit for me eventually kids or even grandkids

Most of my collection are coins which meant higher premiums

So far i've learnt nothing, just keep stacking.

4. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree with Austacker, 100 is a very cheap lesson.
    Talk to the guys who bought at $50/oz, some of which are very intelligent and respected members here.

Hell, I know of guys here that lose $5000 everytime the price of Silver drops a buck, that should make you feel better.

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I suspect that in the UK the VAT makes silver a very hard investment.

6. Silber

Silber Member

Indeed, depending on how you're counting, half of your "loss" is due to VAT (17.5% in the UK?) and some more due to premiums. Remember that the premium is not lost, although it may not be so large for generic rounds. I've made me an Excel sheet summarizing the buys (including premium and VAT) and comparing it to the current spot, and it may look ... demotivating sometimes. And admittedly, there's always a chance of kidding oneself when repeating the mantra: "I did not lose anything... I did not lose anything" ;) But in this case there's no reason for despair.

Not yet.

It still can go muuuch lower ;)

7. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

20% since about half ayear ago, like i say i dont mind losing 100 atm it wont be a loss when prices rise, i just wanted to know who if anyone are losing their optimism

8. Anthony

Anthony New Member

You are talking about long term investments but have so far given it about 50 days?!

Long term investment = many years.

9. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Impossible! Its precisely *because* lots of SS have researched silver that our faith is so strong. The only easily imaginable thing that would change the story would be if there is a global epidemic that wipes out half the human race.

We appear to have researched different things. Unless you have researched the concept of "resource scarcity" then I do not see how you can genuinely understand the *true* silver story. Other research should build on this base concept.

10. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I sure it makes him feel better when the spot rises too!

I think you need to revisit why your investing in PM's. Seems you got in with hype and expected to be crazy rich by now.

Not here to tell you to 'hang on' as you have already made your mind up

11. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

Oh yes.
    That would be me.

I really don't like it when people talk about "faith". I think it's wrong.
    I don't believe in the PMs like a religion, I don't believe doggedness in holding them necessarily equates to a reward.
    The minute I believe gold and silver are poor investments, I am going to dump them like a barrel of mercury into the Yangtze River.
    There's no room for faith or sentimentality here - it's a cold, hard economic decision.

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Yes, there are many on this forum that have lost their optimism. There was one particularly high profile member who was always on here telling everyone his theories to anyone that would listen or not. Sold up and no longer seen.

I know of only one member who has publicly stated that they are out of silver, many more would just be slinking into the corner, too embarrassed to admit they have made a loss.

Not me though mate - 10 -20 years for me, and if it's any longer, then my personal stash will be for my kids.

13. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

And me :p

My stack of 2011 silver carded Koalas (> $50/oz) sitting there gathering dust with their value ever depreciating.

Agree with not using "faith". If you rely purely on "faith" you are no better than YKY or Bob Chapman.

Investing shouldn't be about faith, it should be about the expected gains; expectations which are obtained through research and analysis.

A few hundred pounds really is a cheap lesson, some guys bought 200 carded Koalas at $52/oz right before Easter and again some people bought over 1000oz at $42/oz a while back.

Some members have completely gone from the forum and others are as shiney says out of silver.

14. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

My understanding of the word "faith" is that it has ALWAYS had two meanings, not just one - a religious one. To always take the word "faith" in a religious sense and to automatically reject all non-religious usage of this word says something about your own psychological makeup. Don't be so quick to jump on the religious band-wagon whenever you see this word.

faith/fe/noun
    plural faiths

1 [noncount] : strong belief or trust in someone or something
    His supporters have accepted his claims with blind/unquestioning faith. Our faith in the government has been badly shaken by the recent scandals. His parents have always had faith in him. = His parents have never lost faith in him. [=his parents have always believed that he is a person who deserves to be trusted and who will succeed] I have no faith in politicians. = I put/have little faith in politicians. [=I do not trust politicians] Lending him the money to start his own business was an act of faith. It requires a giant leap of faith for us to believe that she is telling the truth. see also bad faith, good faith

2 a [noncount] : belief in the existence of God : strong religious feelings or beliefs
    religious faith Nothing is more important to her than her faith in God. She says that her faith has given her the courage to deal with this tragedy. He says he has found faith. [=he has begun to believe in God or has developed strong religious beliefs]
    b [count] : a system of religious beliefs :religion

15. Stedlar

Stedlar Active Member

I have appreciated the recent lower prices and have used them to reach my target in ounces sooner. I was going to start buying gold next, but am very tempted by these prices to buy more silver instead. Not really sure, and am glad the price of silver is holding steady while I think it over.

For me Silver is a long term hold. Like an insurance policy I hope I never have to use. It only gets my spare cash.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Well this is what was expected in all honesty.

Not pointing fingers or being mocking, but wasn't a double digit rise in the commodity prices bound to bring in investors looking for opportunity?

I've said it many times but will say again that we're here for many different reasons.

Those who are what I call 'the fundamentalists' will remain in metals rather than paper because of the way they look at money and the financial system. They give less than a crap about what spot is doing because they're stacking to protect their wealth long term against a malign financial system.

But there are plenty of others who want that rising spot ride simply from a pure investment profit position (nothing wrong with that mind you) that will ride the bull market as long as they see good returns.

Now that we've had a period of decline/flat performance, questions are being asked on whether it's worth being here anymore?

Completely depends on which investment camp you sit in really.

I expect if silver doesn't breach $40 this year, we'll see a large number of the 2011 members of SS move on to the next bull market.

But the classic fundamentalists will still be here with their tin foil hats I'm sure. I was here before the 2011 bull run, I'll be here after it too.

If you think Silver and gold isn't for you, the best decision you can make is cut your losses and move on (or better yet, put your metals in a safe and forget about it and come back later).

17. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

The research that you do - why should you believe the author? How can you be sure that its not a load of crock? And just because 20 other guys with initials (degrees achieved) after their names say exactly the same thing, doesn't mean squat unless you have faith in them and their ability to speak with authority and true knowledge. Otherwise you can read the research and analysis written by Ronald McDonald.

18. fishball

I research historical events and charts, not comments from Bob Chapman et al.

There is no faith, only facts.

But even if I did read articles with 20 guys and their awesome degrees, I would be skeptical and do further research of their claims. I never take any information blindly and advise other people the same.

Faith? No place in my investment methodology.

19. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

If we had a penny for every time a so called "fact" was subsequently disproven, we would all be incredibly wealthy.

As for history, is that not written by flawed human beings?

20. fishball

Facts change sometimes, through science or new research/revelations. I change my stance on silver (short term) a fair bit too because I do said research and if something does come out and say deflation did not happen during the great depression I'll change my stance again.

Everything is flawed, the silver spot price on January 5th 1980 may be off by $0.01 but it hardly makes a difference in the grand scheme of things. The trend and human psychology is all that matters for me. How will the market act, what will the people do?

And not that I don't like a philosophical discussion on the word "faith" but it really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I don't have a strong belief nor trust in anything I see or read (your definition of faith). I am skeptical and logical. I have no 'faith' or at least I lack it.

Religion has nothing to do with this.