why is palladium so expensive in australia?

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by ego2spare, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

an oz palladium bar is about $1020 at most of the online stores here (spot is $847). the same bar (converted) would cos $885au if bought from many US stores. thats $134 on top of the premium the US is already paying. was paying over $170 spot for palladium always normal? is it our middle of nowhere tax again?

2. shadowmage

shadowmage New Member

GST on palladium would account for some of the price difference

3. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

The market for Palladium in Australia is probably not the most liquid of markets, hence dealers can't move stock very quickly and therefore their profit spread needs to be considerably larger than other metals to make a buck. GST would account for the rest.

4. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I prefer to stack catalytic converters rather than those nice shiny bars of palladium :p LOL

5. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

what about buying and selling privately? Is it normal to add gst for private deals?

6. Savocado

Savocado New Member

I remember when palladium was a very good investment due to the first round of strikes from the South African Miners.

I didn't but because of the GST, I would have needed 15% growth over the year to make more than banks were offering me in interest rates.

Unfortunately it's not considered money here in Australia. Although I'm glad we're not the UK where silver is taxed 20%

This lead me to the temptation to import it although I never did and proceeded with my other hobbies I still wonder what would happen if I did import my tax free palladium.