Why don't some countries have bullion silver coins?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TreasureHunter, Jul 1, 2015.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

I find it strange that some countries either don't have silver bullion coins at all or, their bullion coins are far from being popular.

Examples would be: nor Germany, not France... etc. have any popular bullion coins. Do they have any state-minted investment silver coins?

Benin, Rwanda, Somalia, Suriname all have. Are they so much ahead of Germany and France? :lol:

Just like the Silver Eagles, Maple Leafs, I'd like to see some... "French Cheeses" and "German Panzers" (joke!) coins... :lol:

2. o-to

o-to Member

The Mint "Monnaie de Paris" is producing very expensive silver 50% or 90% coins (if you compare the premium to the value of metal used).

Producing a bullion coin would kill their business. Plus they wouldn't make any profit if they produce a bullion coin considering the hour rate of their employees!

Don't know what's the story with Germans, all I know is that most of the african countries' coins you are talking about are produced in Germany ;)

3. Snoopy

Snoopy Member

The German Government has no interest to provide hard money to the dumb population. That is one reason why Silver is generally taxed over there, to prevent Joe 6 pack to have any bright ideas of investing in this metal. People are taxed insanely, not to may over there have enough funds to actually buy gold. My last pay (1996) in tax class one, was subjected to a total of 51% of my actual pay. (income tax + health care + pension fund + unemployment 'Insurance' and Soli fee) I highly doubt this has improved since. Considering the cost of living one does not have much left by the end of the month for savings.

4. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

^^^

But the US, Canada, the UK are doing it. They do produce silver bullion coins. It it's not that profitable, why do they produce them? There must be some profit, I think. And the UK doesn't quite have that much silver. Not on the mainland. Most certainly they import the material.

You said "Considering the cost of living one does not have much left by the end of the month for savings", but some people still have - therefore: they stack.

5. Dutchgreener

Dutchgreener Member

You are mentioning Suriname.
    They Mint there bullion in Germany as a matter of fact.

And Snoopy, still te same here in Europe...

Dutch

6. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Suriname don't have a mint, but they have a lot of silver

7. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

I read somewhere that the primary purpose of Australia minting sovereigns was not to put coinage into circulation but to "consume" the gold being mined ....

8. Luker

Luker Member

They operate so that their employees can expense lavish trips on the taxpayers dime...:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian-mint-staff-expensed-stay-at-luxury-mexican-resort-1.3114209

"The mint is a for-profit corporation," the former CEO replied, standing on his front walkway in a ballcap and sunglasses. "It doesn't take appropriations from the government. And its revenues went from $500 million to $3 billion in seven years.
    "I mean, I think you have to judge the company's performance by those sort of metrics."

The mint indeed ran profits, ranging from $11 million to $49 million, every year Bennett was in charge. But it also receives more than $100 million annually from the federal government to pay for the production and management of Canada's circulating coins."

? $49 million profit on 3.5 billion revenue (1.4%)....sounds more like a NOT-for-Profit organization....
    ...AND considering most of their 1-oz proof numismatic siver coins sell for $99 CDN yet the price of silver is under $20 CDN/oz
    .....AND considering those coins typically have a mintage of 7500+ , yet a private mint (such as SM Mint) can produce a superb similar/superior product having a nmintage of only 500....

and the CEO thinks that he is doing a good job??? Ya gotta love public sector employees!!!

Cheers,
    Luker