Why do Sunshine mint bars sell for quite low premiums in Australia?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fishtaco, Mar 13, 2015.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Just asking as I may start buying some 5oz bars before i commit to 10oz bars. Go easy on me i have only ever bought 1ozers so far.

2. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

got a link?

3. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

imo stay away from the high premium 1oz bars. Save the money and get minimum of preferably 10oz.
    Don't know why Sunshine are lower premium. I guess that things swing in an out of favour and it depends on what is readily available in certain countries.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mainly because it's a low premium American brand. The Perth Mint will charge a bit more because it's more recognized over here and Sushine have had a lot of issues with fakes so their rep has been damaged which affects the premium.

5. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks, the fake issue sounds about right! the premium isnt that much smaller but it seems to be at the lowest end for minted bars. Should i stay away from them?

As I said I am not yet ready to commit to 10 oz bars although i am sure i will eventually. i am enjoying many small purchases at the moment so the added premium on small bars and rounds is worth it to me for its entertainment value if that makes sense?

6. Niveka

Niveka New Member

I have 10 of them, and aside from the counterfeit issue I can say that they are very pretty, much shinier than allot of the other 10oz bars I have. I'm not sure you have to worry about the counterfeiting when buying from a reputable source, maybe others disagree though.

Here is my problem with 10oz bars in general. Logic (my logic, others will disagree) tells me that from a purely investment point of view my stack should be 100% ASE's, however the bars look so much cooler than a bunch of plastic tubes. So I'm constantly grappling with the desire to "do whats right" vs. to "do what looks even cooler". The only way I have come to terms with this is to set a base of a certain amount of ASE's that I will acquire first, once that's done I will start making smaller 10oz bar purchases more frequently.

7. BoliverT.

BoliverT. New Member

The sunshine bars have a security code on the back that can only be seen with a special light (do not remember per se what type of light it is, but can be bought at different places such as Amazon etc.) the light authenticates bar, I have a few ten oz. and other size Sunshine bars they are a low premium bar but when you sell silver is silver.

8. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I do not think the issue of Chinese fakes will matter if you are a trusted seller.
    Fro me i would sell them on my online auction site where i have 1000 odd sales and 100% feedback.
    If i put down genuine in the auction description then people know that what they are getting is legit.