What sort of a premium over spot should I ask for proof sovereigns? eg. 1981 UK.

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by dash007, Jul 27, 2023.

1. dash007

dash007 New Member

2. dash007

dash007 New Member

Thanks hardyakkagold. I am happy to sell the proof sovereigns at spot +10% as I have had them since 2015. I also have a lot of bullion sovereigns which I have been selling back to the dealer in Sydney I bought them off for spot simply because it is easy!

3. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No worries, dash, and for goodness sake don't sell the bullion sovereigns to the dealer for spot, sell them here, you will get at least 5% over spot
    maybe even a bit more depending on the condition.;)

DavidW likes this.
  4. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whilst it's the UK and it's a bigger market for sov's, have a look see at the prices they are selling sov's for on "The Silver Forum" and bang the GBP price into google for an AUD amount. It'll be in that 5-10% over spot range.....

Proofs will generally fetch a higher premium than bullion especially if mintage was lower. 1981 proof mintage was circa 32k odd with subsequent years up to now with much lower mintage numbers. As noted above QEII's do attract a higher premium than prior monarch's sov's (certain years excepted) mainly cos Lizzy was a saucy minx and longest serving monarch.

A proof if graded subject to the grading may attract a higher premium but the graded sov market in Aust doesn't seem as large as the UK and we don't see too many graded sov's for sale on this forum.

5. dash007

dash007 New Member

Hi hardyakkagold. Thank you for your advice about selling some sovereigns. My issue here in Sydney is that if I need the cash in a hurry, to say pay a tradesman etc, the dealer can do the transaction on the same day. Because they are in his packaging and never handled he just knows they are circulated bullion sovereigns. Perhaps I can test selling here at spot +5% and see how long it takes. Do I just post the offer under gold? Michael

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Spot + 10% is what I would be asking