What are the greatest risks and worse case scenarios for PMs?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Earthjade, Aug 7, 2011.

1. euphoria

euphoria New Member

if this could be done, it would be extremely expensive and energy intensive. I believe they have created gold artificially, (no proof sorry) but only a few atoms and was extremely intensive to do. Diamond is not an element. It is a specific array of carbon atoms and they take regular carbon atoms and change their structure. This is not alchemy.

2. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

I see a group of currencies emerging as reserve currencies and maybe not backed by a gold standard - this could be years away though!
    Big upheaval while it is taking place but followed by financial stability reducing the need for gold as money, silver price also drops as a consequence, although I can't ever see the price of silver falling below $30US again because of its many uses. But it could remain below $50 for a longer time than we think because of the 'paper' trading.
    I can see the price of gold falling back though if there was financial stability. Though I can't see it ever getting below $1000 an ounce again because of the high cost of mining it.

I also see earthjades scenario of a big tax, or GST or something similar on sales of pms or restricted purchase in the future but I can't see how they could do anything about those people who already own it and when you think of it , it would actually push the price up. And what could they do about private sales amongst stackers? A blackmarket in pms would develop!

All in all, I don't think there is a big risk unless there is a potential of financial stability and experts are already saying that it could take decades for that to happen now but you have to think of all different future possibilities.
    There is a greater risk of fiat becoming valueless.

3. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I regard the Perth Mint silver/gold coins as the lowest risk coins to hold, since even if the POS/POG dropped to $0, the denominated value provides a fall back.