USD is stronger but I can't help feeling like its days are numbered

Discussion in 'Gold' started by BinaryMan, Jul 13, 2015.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So the conclusion is that Tip Top, Wonder White and Artisan breads are better stores of value?

2. BinaryMan

BinaryMan New Member

http://goldsilverworldscom.c.pressc.../06/gold_price_vs_monetary_base_June_2014.gif , a little dated but considering the price is actually a little lower now... and of course fiat can't stop expanding and is instead getting worse with all the emergency money injected... and then there appears to be significant gold price manipulation downward. Regardless of whether it's "to keep USD strong" or just a way for smart money to get physical metal on the cheap (metals ETF is just paper, can't cover requests for physical metal), that actually gives more credence to the need to get out of fiat.

Might find these useful, documentaries on the contemporary money issues; the picture becomes more clear about central banks expanding their power and independence from governments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcGh1Dex4Yo&list=PLJa9OHqZDt7cIxS8ixQFj7M4obPie0j7c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzEWeGJLP0

We live on a complex financial system that is actually quite fragile... when something comes along that they can't mitigate with an injection of more fiat, that's when PM is really going to shine.

3. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

OK so my point was a little too subtle then

How much were all of these things in pounds, in the UK, in 1930 ?

How much is the pound sterling worth now ?

in 1930 the great british empire was declining and the great US empire was rising
    now the great US empire is in decline and the great Asian economies are rising

4. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The test conclusion is those more expensive breads have more harmful preservatives in them for them to last much longer then the cheaper breads.

5. BinaryMan

BinaryMan New Member

From what I understood about China's gold buying pattern (and other countries gold/silver as well) and the general move away from USD starting (if not well underway), we are nearing the end of the game. As much as we want to deny it, they have accumulated enough gold to give it a shot at being a reserve currency. It may take some maneuvering, but due to our wastefulness and hubris I am pretty sure they will succeed eventually. At that point USD will lose a great deal of its value and that's when I want to be holding PM.

6. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

+1

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/25/china-goldconference-fix-idUSL3N0ZB1MP20150625

7. BinaryMan

BinaryMan New Member

Any recommendations on product (I am new to this)? For gold the Credit Suisse gold bars (or similar) seem to be cheapest over spot, but the added Gold Eagle premium is probably worth it for its added liquidity (I haven't seen a dealer who won't buy it). For silver, I can't find anything without at least 5% over spot so the spread is a lot more than in gold, and anything under 100 oz bars has a much higher premium. Silver Eagles (my original choice before learning more) are in short supply and so overpriced currently until the mint makes more; even so, I would have to convince myself that silver would significantly outperform gold to want to pay the higher premiums over gold (as a %). Getting the "monster box" of 1 oz coins (for possible bartering since transactional value gold < 1 oz carries a high premium) doesn't really lower the premium much. Some people have told me don't buy silver unless you cannot afford gold (which I can).

All the local dealers in my area are much higher spreads than some online vendors, but it's difficult to assess online bullion vendors. I have heard recommendations for APMEX above most of the others; I have seen slightly lower prices for some dealers, but service is important to me also (as well a functional web site). I prefer to transact online and not be forced to call someone (but of course I want the option if there is a problem). I guess bank wire is my best (only?) option from a savings account.

8. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Why do you want to buy silver if you don't think that it will outperform gold? Just stick to gold, then.

9. BinaryMan

BinaryMan New Member

What I was saying is that I am not sure if it will or not. I have read that silver is more volatile, leading to a greater price change in % than gold during crisis conditions. However, when I look at 100 year charts of gold and silver in USD, the price change from the bottoms to the tops is similar in many cases. Thus, if there is no evidence for silver increasing more relative to gold generally, gold has a higher value to weight ratio and lower premium % from dealers.

10. Porcello

Porcello New Member

That's right, and this is why I suggested to stick to gold.
    However, the GSR is well above its average right now, which leads many to believe that silver may gain much more than gold in a future upswing. Also, silver has lost more than 50% from its peak, while gold has not (yet). If you don't have stringent transportability requirements, some exposure to silver may be beneficial.

Bartering... I don't believe it will happen in a SHTF scenario - you will probably be better off with cash in hand for that kind of situation - but if that is a concern of yours I would suggest a nice bag of junk silver instead of ASEs. Much more fractional, recognizable, and close to spot.

Also, check carefully the gold and silver charts between 2007 and 2011; investors flocked initially to gold, not silver to protect themselves from the crisis. Probably because gold is perceived as money and safe haven, while silver is mostly an industrial metal and during a big crisis the industrial demand might fall heavily. So I would think twice before assuming that silver will immediately shine during the next crisis.

11. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Watch the euro domino crash first

12. BinaryMan

BinaryMan New Member

I would tend to agree, regardless of fundamentals we can say the "psychology" of gold is much stronger, even though silver will tend to go up during a currency devaluation scenario as well. Gold much more predictably rises during a panic. In a currency crisis of one sort, gold will just adjust to match the intrinsic value (in whatever USD that happens to then become); in that case you can still sell gold to a dealer for some fiat to transact. A true SHTF situation would be one where the financial system seizes up completely and doesn't resolve; in that case it may become impossible to trade for a fair value and you have to rely on emergency supplies for what really matters until you can transact normally again. It's good to be prepared for either scenario, although I think most likely any seize will be temporary, albeit disruptive to values, with the likely result of massive bailout / liquidity injection which still favors gold as an inflation hedge. Well it's inflation + crisis hedge really at the end of the day. Most of the sources I read agree that deflation will occur, government will freak out and inject tons of fiat into the system to inflate it, and the end result is high inflation. Most end-game scenarios favor gold anyway.

13. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The USD has Jim Rogers temporary vote

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wvQDxJPhQ4[/youtube]