Thinking of writing a Book.....

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Cinvalo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

Hi Guys, i am thinking of writing a book, summarizing what has been happening in the current economic climate,the government policy, precious metal and commodity.
    I am not an expert but i have been following the market everyday since 2009. I wish to dedicate my time on this.

The purpose of it is to raise awareness in the asia countries. Not many people in asia regions like Hong Kong, Korea, Japan knows about what is happening.
    Many are following the mainstream media.

They really have no clue about what is going on.

And hopefully i can get some input some you guys as i go along and seek opinion on certain things, i love this forum very much because i can see different views from differnet people and have less bias view.

The book about PM in China , apart from Mike Maloney Guide to Investing in Gold and SIlver or David Morgan ones, i didnt actually see any other meaningful one.

The purpose of it is to raise awareness.

Tell me what do you guys think? ;)

2. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure how quick you can write. But if you're as quick as I am, the financial crisis would be known to almost everyone before I would be half way through chapter 1.

Personally I think that a lot of people will (should) know, that something is massively wrong within the next 12 months.

Good luck with the book.

3. dex

dex Active Member Silver Stacker

compressing a whole lot of stuff i was going to say into 3 words.
    Go for it!

4. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Blog is a good idea to get a following.I will read it.

Go for it.

5. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

I have wrote two novels before when i was 13 but i never publish it hehe, i keep it in my draw so everytime i went back to HK, i read them. Kind of feeling funny and cute though when thinking back, how can i spend all these time writing these crazy stories.
    The most recent thing i wrote is my thesis. My dad wrote a book, but it is on mathematics.

i am 27 years old now, i love reading economic books, been reading it like crazy these years.

I love your blog very much too Bullion Baron. I think it is very well research and informative and i read it during my work too shhh. ;)

This is my Book Stack on economic.
    [​IMG]

6. Pendragon

Pendragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cinvalo,

Boston is right. Events are unfolding rapidly now. If your intention is to educate, then short electronic articles are more likely to reach a wider audience more quickly. If after writing several articles there is still time to make a difference with a book you can always collate the articles, update them and publish them as a book. Find a forum/magazine that you can use to disseminate your work to the targeted audience.

Do not forget to post a link to each article for us in this forum!

Best wishes

7. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice stack :D . Go the blog route I say, it is more immediate and can be disseminated much more widely without the associated cost's.

8. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

As well, to get any decent coin for your book you are going to have to either have an established name, which I assume you don't, or be well-publicised. eg, Schiff was on TV a lot and got his name out there before writing his book.

Lots of books floating around out there and the majority I would guess don't end up being worth the author's time and generally sink without a trace.

9. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

A noble pursuit borne of honourable intentions. My best wishes to you.

10. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

Thanks bros. I have a very interesting idea. I will let u know when it is ready. ;)

11. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

I'd say go for it - it's VERY easy to make a Kindle Edition very quickly - with the advantage that updates are quick & easy too.

Plus people expect Kindle Books to be cheap and not necessarily long, with the added attraction that an unestablished author can do some marketing to get prominence om Amazon.

Not sure if there are many Kindles well-established in the Asian marketplace, but if not, you have an even better "first mover advantage".

I'd also investigate some print-on-demand as this is another way to get a book quickly sold (assuming as has been said that you can write quickly).

The book could have established principles that suit "long" investment strategies (so it won't date as easily) BUT include links to your current short-term opinions / recommendations on your blog - ie get the best of both worlds.

What language are you writing in?

Oh - and start collection email addresses somewhere if you are going to do it - you'll want a "pre-launch list" :)

Just do it! The downside is not disastrous and it's easy to test ... I'd love to read it in beta, as I'm sure many stackers would here (if in English!).

12. silversardine

silversardine Member

If the desire to write is there then it doesn't matter about the time. Writing is like painting - you do it for yourself first and if others like it then that is a bonus. Decide whether you are a writer or just want to be a person who writes down words to become an author.

Regardless of the above if you want to educate go the blog pathway and add to it later via online or on demand publishers like Blurb, SMashwords etc.....

13. longtime silver believer

longtime silver believer New Member

Hey when you write a book you need a great title to grab the attention of would be purchasers. Maybe fellow silver stackers can help with a great name for a book.It could be a best seller and you could make some money out of "paper"! I will start the ball rolling,how about "Silver your path to wealth" or "Turn monopoly money into gold" or "Silver or bust"or mybe "Save yourself from the paper giant"

14. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

GO FOR IT!!!!

I've met a lot of people in my time who "were writing books". A nifty little conversation starter at a party... "Oh wow, you're a writer?" "Yes I am, but I still writing it at the moment..." Yep, met loads of people like that. But I have only ever met ONE person who completed writing a book. Now that's impressive, actually completing the damn thing.

PS: The first publisher this fellow sent his book (nearly 1000 pages of gay fiction) to declined to publish it, for good reason. The fellow gave me a copy of the first chapter of his manuscript, and yep, it was pretty disturbing alright - even for a work of fiction. I can't say what happened, because its too outrageous.

Do it!!!! Prove to yourself that you can do it, and that these are not just "empty words uttered in vain". Saying that, I wish you all the best. :)

15. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

It depends really on how much you have experienced in your life. If you have led a largely sheltered existence, then many things will shock and offend you. If your life's experience is broad and deep, being exposed to a whole range of human behaviour, then you don't get upset so easily.

When people get upset easily, its evidence that their life's experience is really quite limited.

16. shilly20

shilly20 Member

Not sure about Korea as not knowing what is going on economically.....recently spent a month there and of course hit Jogno the famous jewelry district in Seoul where there would be at least 100 jewelry stores in a street with approx 250-300 merchants and of the approx 30 I spoke to whilst searching for granules and silver rings a general consensus was that the rich in Korea know exactly what is going on especially since the GFC. These wealthy buyers would come into the jewelry district and easily drop 20k on gold purchases. The South Korean govt certainly knows what is going on with their 16 tonne gold purchase the other day. Many Korean people woke up last year rummaging through their draws looking for their pre owned silver spoons and taking them down to the Jewellery markets and cashing them in for fiat. Merchants even told stories of how those with gold fillings got them taken out and replaced when gold was at $1900oz last year and replaced to cash in and get some fiat.

17. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Don't be so daft members. He can still write the book and release it in the next recession. Come on, we all know this goes through cycles.

Book = good idea (for later).
    Blog = good idea (for now).

Cinvalo, love your book collection. That is 16 books more than what I have read up on economics.

18. bullionfrog

bullionfrog New Member Silver Stacker

Hi Cinvalo,

Both writing a book or creating a blog as beginning is good idea. Also, I'm so glad that you are focusing on Asian region. In particular, in Hong Kong people are been brain watched on paper assets like stock or even real estate for so long (they just buy the contract and then resell it without even holding the real property).

The majority of people in Asian countries are on their own languages, so if you think about a book, it is important they are translated into different country. I'm do not how easy and afford to do that. Anyway, the important thing is to have different translated version and with a big branch publisher supported at the back.

Once you finish the book, I will get a copy!

Froggy

19. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

For those who are interested in my work, i am about one third the way through it.
    After 3 months of full dedications and research, i finally understand what is the feeling like to be an author.
    Once you write, it is impossible to stop. Once you stack, it is impossible to stop.
    Brothers and Sisters, this is my work so far...

[​IMG]

This is the thickness:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This book is divided into 5 parts. Each parts has different chapters to connect dots together like the economy, our government, monetary history, concept of money, financial crisis etc etc.
    Now i have a crazy idea, still in my head. I want to write with you.
    I plan to setup a membership website, maybe every 2 weeks, i will post one chapter of the book. Each chapter will have certain questions to ask about your thoughts and opinions.
    You are more than welcome to tell me what you think. Of course, your valuable opinions will be selected and published in this book in the future.

What do you think? Should i do that?

By the way i am up to a the chapter writing about Gold and Silver Investing. ;) I will have questions on certain things.
    Also I have recommend certain dealers name like Bullionbourse, SilverStacker.com, Aurora Et Luna as a source to buy from etc :p

20. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Well done! Doing what many people never get around to ...

I think the membership site idea has merit - if your objective is to include some "user-generated-content" in the book and snag the mindsets available on this ahhh ... "diverse-thinking" forum!

;)