The European Union Is About to Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by hiho, Jun 21, 2011.

1. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

By Jeff Clark
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011
    The euro is toast.

The problems in Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy, and other countries are about to destroy the European Union (EU). And as the EU breaks apart, the euro will dissolve right along with it.

The euro had a good run. Twelve years of easing global credit helped hide the growing pains of one of the world's youngest currencies. But as the euro enters its 13th year, it's beginning to show all the blemishes and insecurity of a pimply teenager.

The well-intentioned experiment was destined to fail from the start. There were just too many countries with too many governments and too many cultures. There were too many accounting methods, too many differing values, and too few checks and balances.

During good times, the differences didn't matter. Strong economies hid the incompetence of the euro-zone governments.

Now, however, things are different. Citizens are questioning the value of being part of an association that doesn't appear to benefit any of its members.

Think about this

Last year, German citizens were asked to pony up money to fund the bulk of a Greece bailout package. Germany lent money to Greece with the provision that Greece would take action to bring its budget under control.

Now, one year later, Greece hasn't changed a thing and, predictably, it needs more money to stave off bankruptcy. The EU is once again asking Germany to pony up the bulk of the funds with the provision Greece will really do something this time.

So the German government keeps paying, and the German people see their hard-earned tax dollars going to benefit strangers in another country strangers who appear to have a relaxed lifestyle, now at the expense of the German workers.

The EU is trying to force Germany to bail out Greece to keep the union intact.

Don't be surprised to see Germany back out of the European Union.

Meanwhile, over in Greece they don't want the money. The Greeks are protesting to keep the bailout money out of their country. They would rather default, rather declare bankruptcy and wipe the slate clean, than take on more burdensome debt and be forced to change their standard of living.

The EU is trying to force Greece to take the bailout money to keep the union intact.

Don't be surprised to see Greece back out of the European Union, either.

Then, of course, there's Portugal, Italy, and Spain. All have problems similar to Greece's. All have taken bailout money. And all are on the verge of needing another bailout.

The EU is going to want Germany to fund the bailouts. And the EU is going to force the troubled countries to take the money.

Do you see the pattern here?

In an effort to keep the EU together, the union is forcing nearly all its members to do something none of them wants to do. That seems to be an impossible task. Surely, many countries will see a greater benefit to leaving the EU and operating in their own self interest.

The European Union will dissolve. It'll happen sooner than most people think. And as the EU dissolves, so will the euro.

The euro has been surprisingly strong over the past year. It's up about 15% versus the dollar. That probably has more to do with Ben Bernanke running the dollar printing presses full time than the perceived strength in the euro zone.

That strength will not continue. As the "realization stage" comes to grips with the problems in Europe, the euro is destined to fall, and fall hard.

Similar to betting on higher interest rates in the U.S., betting on a declining euro seems like an excellent trade.

Best regards and good trading,

Jeff Clark

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

I just wish they would delay the SHTF moment until next year, but I fear it is a faint hope.

OC

4. hiho

[​IMG]
    Source:

5. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Greece total debt 0.485 trillion USD
    USA total debt 13+ trillion USD

Which number is bigger?

"Won't somebody please think of the poor banks?"

6. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

On a per capita basis though, the USA number is higher.

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yikes.

8. Old Codger

"On a per capita basis though, the USA number is higher."

MUCH higher! (when you take all the debts into account)

OC

9. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Why's that O C? I say bring it on.

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The USA has a lot more economic generation capability than Greece though....

11. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

The people/countries which hold all of our worthless fiat/ious are also in trouble.

13. Old Codger

Butch,

I have a fair few shares that I have had for about 20 years, and the CGT is a real problem.

I have been flogging them off up to this FY, and will flog some more in the new FY. The proceeds are going directly into 'Perth' Silver bars, no matter what the price.

I doubt I can get rid of them all before the SHTF.

OC

14. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

True - it's not a simple comparison. They're both screwed really.

15. Old Codger

Jonesy,

"The USA has a lot more economic generation capability than Greece though...."

Not sure about that. Most of American manufacturing is now done in Asian factories, even Boeing is an assembler of made overseas parts, and her economy is swimming in red ink borrowed to give the voters what they want. The figures are simply too big to solve with taxes or spending.

OC

16. projack

http://www.dailypfennig.com/currentIssue.aspx?date=6/17/2011

The talking heads on TV this morning, are still focusing on a total Greek default With smiles on their faces I don't think they would have those same smiles, if they knew that a Greek default would be bad for U.S. institutions that sold debt insurance to those bond holders I told you on Monday about this Apparently, Eurozone banks own 70% of the Greek Debt (Bonds) which would be very damaging to the Eurozone, and euro for that matter But 50% of that exposure is insured against default? And who issued that insurance? U.S. institutions So, for everyone here in the U.S. that's rooting for Greece to fail, so you can then pound your chest and say "see I told you the Eurozone would collapse", you had better put that insurance news in your pipe and smoke it

17. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Don't the US have a huge agricultural industry? Also lets not forget weapons :)

I agree with the manufacturing though, they can't compete with cheap labour.

Still looks better than Greece though, I mean they were and still are a 'superpower'.

Also I don't believe that the Euro will die so quickly, the powers that be will do everything to try and stop that from happening I reckon. Might drag it out for a few more years.

18. hiho

19. projack

Banks influence (elect )the governments and they want their money back, so next day after the bailout they can have payday. This is the reason French president Sarkozy running around like headless chicken between Germany, ECB and the IMF to beg for bailout and he is doing it not for the sake of the Greeks, but for the sake of the French Banks.

20. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker