The best bang for your buck!.......Lunar Series 1 or 2 ?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Aurora et luna, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have had a number of people sending me emails last night and this morning asking whether they should buy the Series 1 lunar that was offered for sale on this forum yesterday.
    If you are a collector, the asking price is fair and will save you a lot of shoe leather.
    However if you are buying these coins for an investment, I have to say you would probably get a better return on your money buying a roll of each series 2 lunar animal and then flipping it as a set in 2020
    Right now you can pick up the Mice for less than $50, Ox $55 - $60 the Rabbit $50 - $55, Tiger $60 and once the mania settles down the Dragon for around $60
    Hard to find a reason why a series 2 lunar set won't fetch similar prices as series 1 in 2020

2. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

Assuming we still have a horrible economy by 2020 and fear still runs high and no economic collapse has passed, then I would not be surprised to find the prices of silver to be 100+ of course in turn making series 1 and series 2 silver goes to ridiculous levels.

However if the economy collapses say in 2-3 years time, a recovery period will follow, during that recovery period, you can pretty much kiss goodbye PM prices. After that, the prices for series 1 and 2 will be numi value only. What is the value, that is up to the market to decide.

3. u9026a

u9026a Member

I have it on good authority that shoe leather prices are in a steep uptrend!

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The mintage figures of Series I should see it always fetch a premium over Series II - as low as 52,000 for the Ox from memory, versus 300,000 for every design in Series II. That said, performance as a percentage is harder to gauge, as Series I is now really purely numismatic in value (unless you use valuations like "triple spot"), whereas the Series II is still being acquired as a factor of spot prices for the next 7 years. Series II collections will be able to be completed in September 2018 with the release of the 2019 Pig - mark the date!!! Only seven years to go :)

The larger size coins of Series II and wider availability might make it a more popular series than the first one, helping drive premiums too.

5. Aurora et luna

There was at least 40 potential bidders at the meet auction on Sunday and a Series 1 Ox with toning just fetched a dollar or so above spot.
    Way below what I paid. :(

6. ajzm

ajzm Active Member

It has a very nice home now :)

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Just wish that meet wasnt so far out west.. or else us eastern suburbs boys would of made it there.. S1 ox near spot WTF? Maybe reserves are in order?

1for1

8. Aurora et luna

Oh, its you that won the cow! :p
    I was so overwhelmed the first day on the job that I don't remember who bought it or the price it fetched.
    Spot was around $39 on Sunday so how much did you end up paying?
    Cheers

9. ajzm

ajzm Active Member

Yes it was me

You were correct - $40 :) Thanks Steve!! I love a good buy !! The auction was fun and the cow is happy ;-)

10. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

excuse my ignorance, but how do you tell the difference between a series 1 and a series 2?

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just a quick question.

Is it worth trying to put together sets or just buy up the most popular coin in the series and sell them?

I only ask because I figured that the value of the Dragon from the series was pulling up the value of the less popular coins.

Would 12 dragons be a better investment than a set of one of each of the lunar series?

I am not looking at the cost of postage involved in 12 seperate buys as opposed to one large buy or the time needed or anything like that.

I just didn't think there would be too many people wanting to buy a set, or at least, I thought that more people would be looking for the key coin or just one or two to complete their existing collection. At $100 a coin ( I think that is what they sold for) you are buying very expensive mice and rabbits and 'reasonable' Dragons.

I am not sure that I would want to go back and actively pursue the boring animals in the set and sit on them for the next seven years or so, particularly as there has already been several years of premiums added to the ones I would need to buy up.

I think if I liked the series a bit more I would be more inclined to buy them up.

Thanks

12. rml978

rml978 Member

my bolding of above

I love the east's perspective of geography... Ryde = (far out) west :p ... Anything past the CBD is the wild :)

(no harm intended)

this post from "somewhere on the georges river"

rml978

13. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member