Storing PM safely "safety deposit box"

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Real $, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Real $

Real $ Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As one of the fk the institutions type conspiracy theory/fact paranoid stackers always have my tinfoil hat safely packed in my back pocket for quick use at all times :eek:;) much of my Ag i've sold as it gets bloody heavy and is a bitch to transport moving,etc for that reason and many other prefer Au.Dont trust the filthy gold lenders or banks...but know some of you are more open minded. Like to know Does anyone use "safety" deposit boxes please? To me its the 3rd party risk and the lack of insurance that rules it out but it would def be helpful at times. Cheers

2. Real $

Apologies if in wrong thread to sorry didnt even notice which one put it under

3. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

^^^
    use non-bank ones…

Real $ and Oddjob like this.
  4. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You just answered your own question-3rd party risk.Remember when corona started and members could not get access to their boxes?:eek:

5. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^^
    I concur. If looking for non bank (will come back to the bank's) option do some research on third party safety deposit box providers in your city / region. You'll find a few in each of the major cities and they are sometimes connected with some / one of the major bullion dealers in Australia. Third party deposit box providers should provide the option to purchase X $ of additional insurance based on your valuation of contents....also DYOR on who the insurer is.

Look at their terms and conditions and if the box and contents is held in under law in trust by them in your name, then you should be okay as laws around holding assets in trusts by a corporate entity for individuals is pretty strong in Australia...From memory the failure of Perth Bullion in 2019 caused some issues for those who had purchased goods but not rec'd items pre Perth Bullion going into administration / liquidation but the Liquidator of Perth Bullion acknowledged the rights of the safety deposit box holders to access and collect their items..... noting that the Liquidator did charge a fee to process and provide access.

https://www.rsm.global/australia/si...d_of_release_-_safety_deposit_box_holders.pdf

There's also a thread of Perth Bullion on this forum. https://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?threads/perth-bullion-liquidation.92182/page-8

As for bank owned and operated safety deposit boxes, they tend to have stricter rules re allowable contents in their safety deposit boxes eg no cash or precious metals so that kinda knocks them out from the get go.....there is also wider discussion that the bank's have unfettered rights to the contents of the safety deposit box in the event of that bank going into liquidation.Once again DYOR on them / refer their terms and conditions.

Apart from non bank safety deposit box providers, I have been open minded re a specific Melb based bullion dealer who provides both unallocated purchases and "time period holds for purchases" for their clients. Whilst nothing is 100% guaranteed, I do have a level of comfort (and $ risk value) I'm prepared to have them hold for me until I decide to sell or take delivery.

I trust this assists in your deliberations.

6. Real $

Thankyou for the answers, i will look into non bank options. Moved into more remote,rural area away from city afew years ago so bigger and better ideas are long way away. Used a decent safe for awhile but kinda thought whats the difference...i have everything now in a big metal box that can be taken all at once. When im physically around stack not worried as it but obviously not viable solution need to work,live and travel sometimes and its weight on my mind. I"ll look into it more and into those ideas, appreciate the responses

Shlomo Goldberg likes this.
  7. bubblebobble2

8. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you’ve ever seen those big safes being broken into in about 10 minutes on YouTube, you’ll forget about them. It’s best to use a non bank safe deposit box.

9. bubblebobble2

cheap ones-yes…not that cmi…atleast you’ll get $250000 from insurance if broken into.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  10. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Well-Known Member

Get a cheape safe and store some decoys like some silver, trinkets, expensive looking fake watches so the thieves will think they got all your precious and does not go looking for your fireproof strong box hidden elsewhere in the house or under your outhouse!
    Disclaimer: I spend too much time watching YouTube!

Kai, Real $ and Shaddam IV like this.
  11. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ha ha, they hold it, they own it!

Real $ and 66rounds like this.
  13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A Bunnings suck-in safe full of bricks and not bolted down or particularly well hidden.

Real $ and SilverNGold like this.
  14. bubblebobble2

^^^
    dangerous plan…they know where you live…

15. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

Real $ appears to be a much better sailor than I am.