Storing Gold Flecks

Discussion in 'Gold' started by JamesR, Oct 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. JamesR

JamesR New Member

Hello

I am posting this here since I cannot find anywhere else with definite answers on this subject. I recently had a small airtight vial filled with water and a dozen or so small gold flecks I found panning, but black specs (which I am assuming are mold) appeared in the vial. I recall seeing another post in which water was recommended to store gold flakes in, but I was wondering what other substances (preferably mold/bacteria resistant) could be used to store the gold in to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks
    James

hardyakkagold likes this.
  2. 1Tim58

1Tim58 Active Member Silver Stacker

Just put some bleach in the water? I don't think anything can hurt the gold apart from acid.

JamesR and Real $ like this.
  3. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hello, James, and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on finding some gold flakes while panning, you would be surprised how many try but don't succeed at that endeavour.

Getting back to your question, as 1Tim58 has suggested some bleach or similar anti-bacterial cleaner might help, or maybe just replace the water with some distilled water.

Are you sure you didn't inadvertently put some miniature black sand particles in the vial with the gold and water? This is also a possibility as both are found together.

PS: Or you could use some vodka, gin, or clear whiskey or rum in the vial, that way any leftovers can be safely disposed of down the throat.;)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    Topherclaus, JamesR and Real $ like this.
  4. Gazza79

Gazza79 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome James.

I had a few vials with opals and tiny panned gold and I found that with the opal vial after many years the water ended up going cloudy/mouldy and all I did was rinse it out a few times and replace with tap water and all was good for another few years.

On the other hand I have had no problems with the gold vials I have had for well over 25 years and they are just filled to the brim with tap water. Gold doesn’t decay in any way in water alone so must be some other contamination of some sought.

Did you use the water out of the creek or tap water to fill the vial?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    JamesR and Real $ like this.
  5. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For opal chips I use an ultrasonic cleaner with a drip of dishwashing liquid and never have a problem with dirty water.

REDBACK, JamesR and Gazza79 like this.
  6. JamesR

JamesR New Member

Thank you for your reply, I initially used purified (reverse osmosis) water, but upon further examination I believe that the mold could be attributed to a poor seal on the vial (although it was marketed as airtight, the vial itself was rather cheap in quality). I was also considering a substance with more viscosity to suspend the gold when the vial is shaken, do you think using mineral oil would be alright for the gold?

7. JamesR

JamesR New Member

Hello,

Thank you for your reply; I am pretty sure that the black specs were bacteria of some sort since they only appeared a few months after storing the vial in my house. I was slightly hesitant on using bleach, as I recall some claiming that it was harmful to even unreactive metals like gold...Have you ever had issues with it reacting? Otherwise, I think I will go with your alcohol suggestion since it also gives me an excuse to make a run to the liquor store :)

James

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  8. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've used glycerine which can be diluted with water to get your desired viscosity.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  9. florincollector54

florincollector54 Well-Known Member

I find storing "flour gold" dry in a jar the easiest method of storage.

I leave the gold in the pan to dry then pour onto a piece of paper before using that as a funnel to put into a jar.

JamesR likes this.
  10. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

By storing it dry you are missing out on the main benefit of water in the vial or jar with your gold, florincollector54.

And that is water's magical magnifying properties!

Come show and tell time, those little specks look a lot larger when enclosed in water.;)

AngloSaxon and GoldenEye like this.