Stocks or physical?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Dusty, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

As you guys are aware the word on the street is invest in gold stocks over physical and of corse it's not without it's risks as always, but what are you guys doing?

I'm leaning towards stocks but I'm unsure.

Is there a company you could share or are you going to push me towards physical?

Alot of people seem to own ccu but they don't seem to move, maybe I'm better off holding cash what do you think?

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

i think you already know the answer to you question ;)

3. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you already have a sizeable 'core' stack then it would be a good bet to play the quality juniors, however to invest purely in stocks by selling your core stack or substituting physical then the risks become obvious.

If income allows, allocate monthly weightings of your disposable income to both (note word - disposable).

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Always diversify. Having an actively planned/managed allocation of cash, equities and physical PMs is always wise, especially when the markets are increasingly volatile.

5. Capitalist

Capitalist New Member

Diversification is important in any portfolio even though they are both exposed to precious metal prices.

We could see stocks rise at a faster pace than the metal they produce, so it would be a good idea to buy stocks if a lot of your wealth is tied up in physical metals already.

6. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

The point is we are heading for a crash such as has never been seen before. You will need to access cash for necessities to live, any shares wont be worth (Jack Shit). If your wealth is tied up in precious metals at least it will hold its value unlike Fiat.

7. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I totally agree with the posters opinion! Safe but wise answer. Having physical is a no brainer...good to have some. Good to have stocks because you can gain when physical goes up and when physical goes down, And of course cash is the ultimate in liquidity.

8. heyimderrick

I actually think a collapse of fiat currency would force people into equities (in strong companies) and metals because that would be the only place to find a ROI. Shares of companies that produce tangible, desirable items will still be worth something. In the event of a crash and a spike in metals, for example, miners would benefit strongly if they own the land that they are producing from. Would shares take an initial hit, most likely, but they would likely recover strongly, and if the shares didn't bounce back, it's likely the company would initiate strong buybacks and/or hefty dividends.

9. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

Do both. If you have the money for it.

Treat your physical stash as your "savings account" for rainy day. Just buy those metals using your spare cash (which you normally put into your savings account) and don't sell any other them unless you really have too.

On the other hand your gold stocks are income producing portfolio. If you play Junior market, you can make alot of profits from buying low and selling high. If you play mid-major market, it is more advisable to buy and hold and let your share price appreciate sloooowly. My advise is play both junior and mid market.

10. heyimderrick

I think it is important to note that if you have, or are starting a stock portfolio, loading it up with miners doesn't diversify you away from the volatility of PMs. In most cases, miner stocks are more volatile than the spot markets for PMs. If you have a large sum of physical, limit your stock exposure to miners or PM ETFs. You definitely want to have some good defensive/low volatility stocks in your portfolio. I have a trading account and a retirement account...both are managed very differently. Think of your goals and build your investments around them.

11. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Yes, If PMs are supposed to be 10-15% of total investments, then I believe, PM stocks should be no more than that % of total stock portfolio.

12. Nukz

Nukz New Member

It's nice to have a bar of silver but stocks are really good when things take a turn its much easier to sell or buy for that matter.

Previous poster hit the nail on the head though with diversification.

13. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

My reasons are that I'm in for gold and need a good stock?
    What's on with ccu?

14. Guest

Guest Guest

If in two minds, just buy both.

15. ReturnToZero

ReturnToZero New Member

Easiest question ever

Lower Risk----------Higher Risk
    Physical-------------Stocks

Choose your allocation % based on your propensity to risk.

16. euphoria

euphoria New Member

Stocks will always have counterparty risk. Gold in your own possession does not. With that said, there is a strong place for stocks in my portfolio.

17. Au.Ag.Mzch

Au.Ag.Mzch New Member

Just came back from a free seminar yesterday where the guest speaker was a guy named Peter Daniels, who came from a third-generation welfare recipient family-turned-Christian business entrepreneur and philanthropist. His response to a question about whether ppl should get exposure to gold via mining shares was: "...when you invest, you need to maintain control. You have no control over shares and so therefore I (Peter Daniels) wouldn't buy them." , which I think is a fair statement though obviously do your own research and make up your own mind about it.

It could be argued that the price of gold and silver is also out of our control, but at least if you own physical then you have it in your possession without the counterparty risk.