Spate of Dubious Deal - Describe your items and pack them properly.

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Miloman, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi All,

Sydney Stacker community is pretty good bunch for the most part. Always the wheeling and dealing (part of the fun) with these great bunch of people ;)

Over the years, even before joining the forum I've met lots of people who are part of the forum and hold a number these people in high regard, some have become good friends. We all talk and look out for each other too.

Recently I've received phone calls, sms and email about deals that are "bad", 3 this week alone. People are not describing the items properly and/or at least take proper photos that honestly represent what you are selling... e.g. milk spots, torn outer boxes of sets, loose coins, badly scratched capsules, poor packing etc. etc. I've had this happen to me too.

Guys if the people you deal with attend meetings then assume we all hear about the things that go on.

Please describe/photo your items, although you might not see it on the forum, make your dealings as honest as possible. I've worked with seller/buyers to resolve issues and look mishaps happen but it's the deliberate stuff I'm talking about.

Also leaving negative feedback for people is a big deal, I've done it and received retaliatory feedback which took ages to be removed, not a good experience and I see why people look to avoid leaving negative feedback for others.

Reputations are important, don't risk it by not working things out with your counterpart. (not just talking about negative feedback)

Sorry but this needs to be said, because some really honest folks that I know have been treated unfairly and it just doesn't sit well with me.

Cheers.

P.S. I'm no admin, just a forum member. I strongly suggest contact admin to resolve issues.

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for posting, it's almost all too common these days

3. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

Apart from a dodgy jewellers copy half sovereign, I have never had a drama. Having said that, I have seen the public conversations that go with deliberately misrepresented goods and the private conversations would way outnumber those. The QLD fraternity seem a bit more reluctant to meet and do business/chat than our southern counterparts. In short, I agree - be honest with your side of the bargain and retain your reputation but more importantly - retain your dignity.

4. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Is that why you switch off yours trade FB?

5. Miloman

No, not at all. I just like the privacy, 100% positive feedback.

EDIT:
    Here I even turn on my feedback just for you.

Also my OP is actually what it is, plain and straight forwards, I am not involved in any dispute.

6. Golden ChipMunk

Good MM.

Now adays,I don't like to deal with members that switch off theirs FB.
    I think they have bad taste.

Members selling items with no photos or no description I will also avoid.
    I have lesser headache this way. Too many PF around.

7. CFP

CFP New Member

Fair enough on the chatter, no one likes getting a lousy deal.
    But if you buy something off here and you are not happy with it, surely the first thing would be to contact the seller and try to resolve the issue.
    I had a problem when I calculated the silver weight of some coins incorrectly (by quite a bit) and sent the actual oz amount to a buyer, I had forgotton
    that I had promised him a certain number of the coins (florins).
    The buyer called me out on it via pm saying you said I would get x amount of coins and he was correct. Yes I had made a genuine mistake but
    I had told him that was the amount and he wanted to stick to it. It could have gone either way, ie he could have accepted it but at the end of the day
    it was my stuff up so I rectified it. I sent him the extra coins and paid for the postage. I lost out on the deal but I do quite a bit of wheeling and dealing on here
    so that was fine plus to be honest once I knew of the situation I would not have felt right about it because I had said that despite the fact I stuffed up, I had
    made a deal and had to stick by it.

Another time I sent some more florins to another buyer (must be something about florins with me), for some stupid reason I left two of them out.
    I was packaging a number of parcels and made a genuine mistake, it does happen. The buyer contacted me, I checked the drawer I use to keep sold
    items in and sure enough I had left 2 florins out. Who knows why I did, I was probably in a hurry. Anyway he was very understanding (we have dealt
    with eachother quite a few times) and was cool when the coins arrived, I also paid for it and didn't charge extra postage because why should I?
    It was my mistake.

My point in all of this is give people the benefit of the doubt and contact them about anything
    that has gone wrong, chances are that it is a genuine mistake.
    On the off chance that it is something more malicious than fair enough, give the seller a chance
    to rectify the situation and then deal with accordingly if that does not work.

It does work both ways as well.
    As a seller I have been stuffed around by two people on the forum and won't deal with them again.
    They don't know who they are because I didn't want to cause bs but if they were to approach me
    I'd tell them thanks but no thanks because of these previous dealings. That is my right as a seller,
    just as it is someone's right as a buyer not to purchase off someone because of things that have occurred.

My advice to this though is to approach the person that you have had an issue with before sounding off over
    a couple of frothies (or lattes in Sydney) at your local stacker meet up. I would be really pissed off if I heard
    someone badmouthing me about a deal that had happened and I wasn't even aware of the fact that there was
    an issue....

Especially because it could deter others from doing business with me. And even moreso especially when I
    would do whatever I could within reason to rectify the situation.

8. Miloman

I agree with your post entirely.

Benefit of the doubt is always given and Stackers are always looking to resolve issues please don't misunderstand the OP. Genuine things occur and the majority look to resolve the issue.

No one goes about just badmouthing others (something which is frown upon). Most is kept hush hush and people asking for advice on the best course to resolve the issues.

However there are some that push the envelope or even cross the line, those are the things I am talking about.

9. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are badly scratched capsules really something to complain about considering they only cost around 50 cent for 1oz and I don't know what the larger ones go for? I can understand if it is a special capsule for an item but I would not be too concerned about scratched capsules.

10. Miloman

I agree, not in and of itself however read the context rather than taking one thing out of context.

I'll give you an example...

Let's say you buy a proof coin, the box is damaged, the coin has milk spots and the capsule is bad scratches on it. None of which were mentioned and the photos show the best side of the coin and does not include the damage to the box.

Just keep it sensible.

11. Skyrocket

^ to me it read like you were suggesting any one of those examples and not a number of them put together

12. Miloman

For the record this time..... no one has ever complained or given negative feedback as far as I know for scratched capsules by themselves.

Now if you read the thread, rather than trying to nitpick with the comment above, get the meaning of the post.

Why does everything turn into a debate? Can't something just mean what it says plain and simple? Do you not see the point of the thread?

Deceptive and misleading dealing is what's it all about.

Further I had a think about badly scratched and cracked capsules, if they like that for long enough and the coin becomes impair then yeah I think it should be described/photographed. To be absolutely clear.

13. Skyrocket

^ I wasn't trying to nitpick and I did read the whole thread. I don't want to get into an argument with you over nothing, so lets forget it.

14. Golden ChipMunk

What is the point of having discussions, yet there are Censorship on it???

I say keep it open.

Most of the time, I will ask the questions before buzzing, even it is cheap. There are members that purposely takes bad pictures,
    hide those damages rather than disclosed it, no pictures, bad lighting, pictures with milkspot but don't disclosed it. ( They will comes back and say don't you see it - very PF )

Having Kilos Bars Perth Mint mixed with others brand. ( I think how many are guilty there!!! )

Coins scratched.

I hear about them all the time. I run meeting. All others members seek for my opinions.

When Top monies are involved ( Premium ), I think the seller should put a side notes to the buyer half way to the transaction.

15. Golden ChipMunk

Original replacement capsules are not cheap.

50 cents for capsules???? Even the cheaper Lighthouse brand about $1 then plus postages.

I always tries my best to keep pricing down. Not at my expense, as I still have to pays for Carpark while in the city and is not cheap plus my time.

16. Miloman

I'm not trying to censored anything. Just want to keep on point and not have my message taken out of context or to descend into a debate, I think that's fair enough. I posted clarification too.

Also you are right, capsules aren't cheap. If you buy singles from the LCC here in the city they charge $1.50 each. You are right again, it does take time and extra effort. However worse still is if the coin is damaged/impaired, one of my major points.

17. Skyrocket

Chip, I don't know how much 1oz original replacement capsules are, but last time I was in at GS I bought a bunch of them for about 50 cents each and they seemed just like the originals, at least the quality was. A few times I also bought new empty capsules off Ebay and found they were cheap crap, most had scratches.

18. Miloman

Bing, Bing, Bing!!!

This is exactly one of the things I am talking about.

Not sure what PF means?

19. Golden ChipMunk

This got to do with the seller. I say , once is enough.
    If they don't offer a return or partial refund. If they haven't fully disclosed with photos or no photos & descriptions.
    Just goes under DNTL.

20. Golden ChipMunk

Poor Form