Sovereign or Bullion Coins

Discussion in 'Gold' started by justin536, Nov 4, 2011.

1. justin536

justin536 Member

Hey guys,
    what do you thinks better Sovereign or Bullion Coins?
    I like the look of Sovereigns but know absolutely nothing about them and if they are a good investment or anything? could use help?
    and where the best place to buy them?
    regards justin

2. 2ds

2ds New Member

+1 for peoples opinions on this =)

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I stack both :) That way you can cater to whatever seller you come across.

Usually though it comes down to premium - the premium on a sovereign can be a lot lower percentage than a near-equivalent 1/4oz coin. Some people prefer "even" fractionals like 1/10 or 1/4oz rather than having to remember 0.2354oz for a sovereign.

Also some GST issues when buying from businesses at times.

4. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I admit it, I'm a child of the metric system and I really like round numbers. That means it is a pain for me that the Sovereign isn't a tidy 1/4 ounce. That being said there is a lot going for the Sovereign. It was good enough for James Bond in "From Russia with Love" and the UK gave Sovereigns to RAF pilots and SAS soldiers to use to trade their way to freedom should they need to. I have read that the Greeks are very fond of holding their wealth in their own Sovereign Bank ;)

Because the ATO are retards and consider anything below 24 carat as jewellery the Sovereign is subject to GST. Seriously, Sovereign coin, formerly legal tender, made by the Perth / Melbourne and Sydney mint - that's "jewellery"? The Krugerrand, the original bullion gold coin and arguablly the ugliest is jewellery? Freakin' retards. But I digress. Taxation may be an issue

I say - go for the one that you can pick up for closest to spot on the day.

Grr to the ATO