Some trading questions.

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Savocado, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Savocado

Savocado New Member

I'm looking to offload some old bars which are worth over spot value.

I'm not really sure on the selling situation here and the FAQ's don't help all that much.

Do the majority of you sell in bank transfers? Is there other ways of accepting payments?

If I wanted to trade silver for gold or platinum is there many willing to do that?

I am feeling as if I should just go to ebay although I don't want large transfers going through there.

Regretting buying 100oz and 1kg bars now.

Also this whole trust situation, being a new user I think everyone is not going to trust me enough to pay before the goods are sent and I'm not sure of other ways to do the transfers. I want to buy and sell more as a hobby although not sure how to go about my first trade.

Although I have a PO box postage costs something like $8 for 500g then insuring your package adds costs.

Can anyone give me a rundown of this?

2. MikeW

MikeW Active Member Silver Stacker

If you live in a large city, you could try to set up a few face to face deals and get a few positive feedbacks on board.
    Otherwise, stick to doing deals with members of long standing with high feedback. You may have to be prepared to send them your silver first before they transfer the cash into your bank account.

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You can try selling them here first. F2F at a local meetup would be a best way to build up a reputation. You can also consider sending the items first if trading with more established members. But just note not to expect too much for bigger silver bars as you will have to price them close to spot.

4. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And going to ebay means a loss of 9 percent then a possible 3 percent via paypal,better pricing them here and see how you go

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

You can do what ever you like. If you want cash then list them for sale here. If you want to trade for other metals or smaller bars then list them for trade here with the gsr ratio that would be acceptable to both parties.
    It does help to have your city or region listed under your name so people can consider f2f offers.
    Its gotta be better value than fleabay.

6. Savocado

Savocado New Member

Thanks for advice, I like the idea of face to face although I feel a little edgy about it. Trusted sellers I feel more comfortable with, unfortunate I'm not a 'trusted seller' :rolleyes:

I will think about it over Easter.

7. Savocado

Savocado New Member

I'm looking to start f2f trading, not sure exactly when still but I have some items I would like to sell.

Altima has said I would need to price close to spot, so I am guessing this works both ways, everyone on here sells close to spot.

If this is the case it's a much better option for me as the extra cost I pay for at dealers feels like wasted money.

I would rather trade one metal for another than to actually sell at spot prices with some cash involved if needed.

Example: I wanted to trade a 100oz bar for 10 10oz bars.

8. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Have a look at the trading section...browse trough what has been sold at what price, and that would give you an indication.

Only yourself should price your item, and you are the seller, no another member.

With your example, i honestly don't think it will work, as the total premium that people pay for 10 of 10oz bar is much higher than the 1 100oz bar premium.

But you might find someone who's want to do it? Like i said before, have a read and get a feel for pricing.

9. Savocado

Savocado New Member

Cheers and thanks for teaching the newbie. I may try and offload some high premium coins for low premium coins.

I'm guessing I can hold more metal this way.

But then is the problem of liquidity, I want my low premium coins to be accepted if I needed to sell them. More research for me.