Size matters - What's your idea of a decent stack?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Abossy, May 10, 2015.

1. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Can't do votes in here - something I was thinking about this morning after looking at some youtube vids.......What's a decent sized stack to you in ounces?

Maybe it's a goal your aiming for or a number you would feel comfortable with having. I'm not asking for how much you have, but rather what you would consider to be a decent hedge given your own position in life. Something you could look at and say hey - I'm happy with that not going to touch it for a few years.

For me that's around 5,000 ounces, with a target to at least half that being unallocated. Still a fair way off, maybe it's too much or too little. Obviously I'm talking just silver, but thought maybe gold should be paired down to 1/100th the size of the silver - e.g. if you have 2000oz silver, aim for 20oz of gold.

Thoughts?

2. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3216oz - 100kgs

3. Abossy

Your own weight in silver?

I tried that, wasn't high enough ;)

4. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why restrict yourself to a number limit?

Imo Sammysilver summed it up best when he says something like "too much silver is never enough".

5. Caput Lupinum

I'm not fat enough to bring up a century on the scales. I just have a thing for rounded numbers. I've gone past the 1000oz mark so 100kgs seems like the next stop.

6. Abossy

Not saying you should, but goals are important IMO otherwise you may find yourself putting too much in an asset that currently is going nowhere and pays no dividends.

I still believe in silver, but my focus on it has seen me miss other opportunities in stocks and real estate so I think it's wise to be balanced.

7. Caput Lupinum

50kg next then 100kg or you might get discouraged.[/quote]

I've got time on my side :cool:

8. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you a time traveller?

9. Caput Lupinum

Only when tripping on shrooms

10. SpacePete

How about: a decent (silver) stack is one that fills the SDB that you can afford?

Now, what is a decent gold stack? Does someone want to lend me a couple of kilo gold bars so I can evaluate their worthiness as a stack and just generally fondle them?

11. Abossy

Why limit yourself to the size of an SDB?

Sure keep some/most/all of it physical, but don't overlook the convenience of an unallocated or even allocated account with a reputable dealer.

Perth Mint only do pool allocated now for silver (with fees) and I've heard on the grapevine that they will soon look to do that with gold.

12. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Thats around 70k , now that same gold weight in oz's you could probably milk another 10k on top of that.
    If i was exceedingly wealthy then the kg's would do, but anyone moderately wealthy on down should stick with 100gm bars (max) but preferably oz and down to 10ths.

jmho:)

13. SpacePete

Yeah, kilo gold bars would be kindof extreme for most of us. I think sovereigns are an ideal size when it comes to gold (and maybe 1oz blobs if you are seriously stacking low-premium gold.)

14. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I should have added my ideal stack size.
    I am gonna have to be "that guy" and say it all depends on your means and long term strategy.
    Some here will want 10,000+ozs to use in retirement and others will be happy with 500+ for SHTF, economic downturn, or any other number of scenarios.
    Personally ill be happy when we hit 12k ozt.
    I want it as possibly 1/4 of our retirement funds (excluding homes)with a sell price of $25NZD minimum.
    If we are not at $25 in 30 years then it wont be the end of the world.
    If we see another major BULL in between now and then most of the silver and some gold will get sold and we will just HOPE that it is history repeating and buy back in later OR NOT:)

15. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just paid off my house so now my goal is to stack as much silver as I can with most of my spare cash/funds - no goal limit.

The world is heavily debt ridden and sooner or later it's all going to crash big time including real estate but not my silver baby! It's set to go to the moon one day. So I keep stacking it. Hopefully the crash don't happen too soon because I only started stacking one year ago.

16. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have said this on another thread, and I'm being quite specific. When I turn 65 I expect I'll be on a mix of super and pension. Even though I have no intention of retiring, the politics of the day may dictate that it is the best course of action in order to lock in a part pension.

That being said, I would like to augment my income by slowly selling my stack. As I only collect fifties, and store them in tubes of 21, or 7 ounces, I would envisage selling one tube per week. As I don't believe I'll live much beyond 80, and if I did, I doubt if my income would need augmenting, thus my idea of a decent stack is:

21 fifties x 52 weeks x 15 years = 16,380 fifties or 5,469 oz or 170 kg. Simples.

17. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think that holding 5000 oz silver and 32.15 oz gold is a good stack
    Still working towards it

18. Abossy

I agree this is my current goal almost exactly, though I might up the gold to around 50oz. But yes I expect the number to fluctuate up and down depending on my own circumstances over the years to come.

I've slowed down while I focus on some other things as I still don't hold any real estate, though given the current state of things this might not be as high a priority as I once thought.

I did most of my buying in the $30's so on paper I've lost a bit. I don't intend on selling anytime soon though so it doesn't keep me up at night.

19. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

I like the thinking. Reckon I might just have found a 'plan' instead of being all over the place like I have been.
    Only variation I could see would be to do this in tandem with gold - a hedge fund for the hedge fund.

20. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Its not only about the size of the stack but also the quality of the stack