Sealed box 100 coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silverrider, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Silverrider

Silverrider Active Member

A friend of mine purchased 100 lunar dragons and refuses to open the sealed box of 100 silver coins ...He reckon's in years to come they will be worth more this way..could this possibly be true..or doesn't it make any difference...?

2. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Makes no difference, what's inside is what the buyer is going to want. They probably will want to see coins before they buy

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

probably nothing but rocks in there

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

He'll have to break it up anyway.....No one will be able to afford a whole box in a few years time :)

People make mistakes...who's to say there isn't a roll of 'pigs' or 'tranformers' accidentally placed in there on the last run on a friday afternoon just before some guy's retirement party.

5. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Makes no difference if the box is sealed with the "blue tape" or not, contents are the same! An unopened box of dragons just went for approx $5555 on this forum 2 days ago.

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Your friend is pulling the move that some people have done on UNOPENED mint rolls of $1 coins, or 50 Cent pieces, or other extremely high mintage cupronickel coins in the last 10-50 years - and such unopened rolls DID indeed go for higher prices.

imo

The problem with the 100 Lunar Dragons is that it is 100 oz of silver thus much costlier, and it will prevent him from doing deals for individual rolls or coins.

Not entirely sure but the premium that the virgin box will fetch probably could have been squeezed out on selling smaller packages. ( either rolls of 20 or even less ),
    afterall the buyer of the box will be buying in bulk ( 100 oz of numi silver ).

I would suggest this strategy only if i had a stack of 1500 oz of silver or more, if less, i wouldnt bother with it.

7. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

There's no way I'd buy a box of anything without looking inside. If a box of Dragons costs say $6,000 you think I'm going to trust a blue packing tape? How hard do you think it is to get a bit of plastic packing tape wrapped around a box? Not hard at all...

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had a box strapping machine at my old job. Cost about a hundred bucks from some packaging company, but they're probably available from China for $10.

FWIW, the Perth Mint boxes are nothing like the "real" sealed monster boxes that come from the U.S. mint with numbered security tags, etc.

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

You can slide the blue tape off and back onto those boxes. It's presence is meaningless except the box won't accidentally open.