results vaccum sealing

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Jan 19, 2015.

1. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

Well, it has been 26 years since the 1989 .999 panda...I don't know of any evidence that the pouches cause harm.
    I was thinking that it might be bad if somehow chlorine from the PVC becomes AgCl on the coins...but I don't know if that is possible, especially with the capsules.

2. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

I would like to be able to look at the coins without them being obscured by the grooves in the vacuum sealer bags.
    Here is my result with a standard Ziploc brand bag.

[​IMG]

You need to create "channels" to suck out the air.
    This is the first method that worked for me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2WTfpJQaY

He uses a thin bag in the video, but for a normal bag, you need to cut off the thick ridges of the ziplock seal. (ridges = the thick part, where you would press down to seal the bag)

After vacuum sealing, make seals between the blue/pink parts and the coins.
    Then cut the blue/pink parts off.
    Now there are no channels to get in the way, so you can make a better seal on top.

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Perhaps off-gassing?

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Yes, bingo!

Since coin capsules are not air tight, I would expect that off gasses can enter the capsule and attack the coin....even if there is zero contact between the coin and pouch and depending on the chemical composition of the pouch.

Just a guess.

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Member

Hi,

I was browsing the forum and now I am new here to post a comment, perhaps someone already had mentioned to use some anti tarnish paper. I work in the electronics industry and all the bare circuit boards we use come individually packed with a tab of anti tarnish paper in the bag so they stay solder-able after some storage.
    Mostly the Silver-Saver paper is used, but some come with the 3M anti tarnish stripes as well.

http://www.amazonsupply.com/daubert-cromwell-ssbags4x6-silver-anti-tarnish/dp/B00ANUO0SA

I find the idea vacuum bagging great. I have my coins stored in tubes using the anti tarnish paper inside them and then have them tightly wrapped in a zipp bag, alto not vacuumed. It does seem to work fine, I have not yet observed any tarnishing or discoloration after 5 years or so. I might try the vacuum storage myself as I think it be best.

Just adding my 2 cent

6. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I was putting my coins (not all of them, the ones which mean smth more to me) into "eco friendly" zip bags and then put them in bigger bags which I vacuum sealed. I know this is not the best approach since there is still some air in the first bag, but I was using only generic bags for vacuum sealing which I believed aren't the best one (chemicals, etc.).

I'm planning to buy a new vacuum sealer in the near future and will pay more attention to the bags.

Maybe I vacuum sealed also some of the zip bags (or got at least air out). Not sure. :) Most of the companies recommend to use bags you get with vacuum sealer.

I also started using Coin Armour bags. They look quite nice actually so are also suitable for gifts. In classic zip bags coins look like Monopoly money or smth. :p

I have 2008 Norfed coin which was originally stored only in cardholder (with hole one side) and there are no signs of any toning or anything.
    Got one coin as a gift many years ago. Didn't notice that capsule has smole hole. About year later when I hold it again it started to oxidise.

It's also important how/where you store your coins.