RAM or PERTH MINT

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Guest, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you have a particular preference for products from one mint as compared to the other
    Do you think the production quality of both is on a Par with each other?
    And finally what makes one Mints products more desirable over the other?

Cheers

REDBACK

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Perth Mint. I think this is heavily influenced by the fact they make bullion, and RAM doesn't.

3. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Thought this said
    Ram the Perth Mint

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I am a silver investor so Perth Mint as they make bullion.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

That's interesting GP,would you consider the RAM's Kangaroo issues Bullion~sure they come in packaging but on the face of it they are still bullion coins.
    Is there a reason the RAM doesn't do mass issue bullion?

Ps some of the Roo mintage issue # are quite high

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I prefer Perth Mint overall. However I spent a whole afternoon walking around their gift shop and came out empty handed, nothing caught my eye as being a 'must have'

RAM do the Roos, of which only the 93 is half decent looking in my opinion, and when it comes to buying silver it is my opinion that counts!

I prefered the RAM Year of the Rabbit design but it was way more expensive than the Perth Mint version.

I have some of the RAM coin sets but stopped buying them when the cost price became exponentially higher than the face value.

As far as product goes I actually prefer some of the private mints over the Australian ones.

7. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

+1 to this statement
    I also prefer the Perth Mint but ignore nearly all the Tuvalu and other nation issues.
    Re the RAM, the roos are the only items that i (occasionally) purchase.

8. somnia

somnia New Member

I think on aesthetic terms the RAM wins for me. So many of PMs recent coins have been astounding in their overall 'yuck' factor. Seriously how hard would it be to hire a decent designer/artist?

However, most of my dollars end up with PM as RAM do not produce bullion coins.

In a perfect world: RAM will start producing bullion 'Kangaroo at Sunset' coins. In my opinion one of the best designed coins in recent history. Wonder how RAM will do when Wojick(sp?) finishes up?

9. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I have to say i think the kangaroo at sunset is one of the best designs too it would sell out in no time with a 300K mintage of bullion coins

10. Guest

Guest Guest

+10 to the sunset Roo statements,I think it is truly breathtaking in its woah factor and simplicity of design.
    I would stock my Super account up with them if they brought out a bullion version.
    Which begs the Question why do we not see the Roo's competing against other PM bullion,the plastic and card couldn't add that much to the cost that they are totally uncompetative or as you guys have suggested a pure bullion version.

REDBACK

11. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Talking about roos. What prices would you fellows pay for roos?. Why do I ask ? Well every time I go to the coin shop where I purchase nearly all of my silver, there standing out like dog's b...., is a bunch of roos( some93, I can see) for the sum of $48 each. Could get to 47 maybe, if I bought 6.

They are $9 to $10 over spot and I am always a little hesitant going over spot. All opinions welcome!.

Regards Errol43

12. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Up until 2006, the 1oz Kangaroo and the Kookaburra were similarly priced.
    Then Ram got really really greedy and nearly doubled the price overnight.
    Another crap mint to do business with.

13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Roos look unappealing to me, other than the 93!

The cards mean they take up more space and don't really add much to the value in real terms but I think they would make decent presents.

At $48 for the '93s I would have bought them already as I have been looking around and this seems to be a good price for them, actually quite cheap. Not sure how they compare against the cost for other 1oz coins (Perth Mint is $49 for 1 oz bullion) but they are certainly cheap for Roos that I have seen elsewhere recently. The post office has 2011 Roos for $50 each.

Before silver went crazy I was being offered these for about $35 so I would imagine if they have been sitting on a dealers shelf for ages they probably got them nice and cheap too. I went back just after silver touched $50 and they had all gone.

I don't really like paying over spot either but it limits me to junk silver otherwise, nearly everything has a bit of a premium on it and I prefer to buy older stuff rather than the new ones in the hope that it will be a bit cheaper. You can always buy the 93 Roos and then sell them to me.

14. Nukz

Nukz New Member

Perth mint or PAMP .. And thats about it.