[QA]Can a person with about $1000-$2000 make a profit buying pandas...

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Honestcoins, Apr 20, 2012.

1. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

not sure wht u want but i suggest purchase a PF 70 slabed panda (date pre-2005) and leave it for 3-5 years u later probably u will make double ROI :)

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, this is another smart way to play the game :)

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

To be honest though Jizlizard, nothing you or I can afford will be stolen by those graders.

We're small fry. The coins we send in to grade are a measly 4 figures? Pfft for them ;)

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You are not wrong there.

5. Lim

Lim New Member

I am only concern the dealer handling my coins steal them . :)

6. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

Ok, i just carefully scanned ebay for the years 2010-2012 and it is abundantly clear that I have absolutely no chance whatsoever of turning nongraded coins into graded coins and selling them for a profit. Not unless i got really lucky with a couple ms70. In fact, it is an almost guaranteed loss. There even seems to be a preference for ungraded coins in some cases as they are fetching close to the prices of ms69's!

So, if this is gonna work i clearly need to search for other, older, coins. Any suggestions on particular dates i should look for in omp?

Edit: please remember i am talking about a six month time span here. I am not bashing the long term value of pandas.

7. серебро

серебро New Member

From the 80's through to 2001. I am sure others will post up key dates also

8. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

Ok thanks, now we're getting somewhere! I can definitely see some profit potential now. Next question....how common are ms68 or below in 2001 and older double sealed and ncs conserved ngc graded coins? Because those have a very distinct decrease in premium to the point i can even see them selling for less than double sealed.

I know some of you folks have experience in this :). Is there a site with information like what i just asked for?

9. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

And yes, i am an information black hole

10. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I purchased two Brass Pandas 1984 from here for $300each :)

I can get some good returns on those :)

11. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/World-Coins-Census.aspx

Plug in PRC and say S10Y (for 1oz Silver/27g Pandas)

You can see the % of MS69 and non-69s and 70s there.

For example I just found out that there were only 60-ish G5Y 1986 Pandas graded by NGC... hehe.

12. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

Brilliant! That is exactly what i wanted! <3

13. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

Alright, i've gotta get some sleep now, it's 5:40 am, lol. Thanks for all the answers, I'm sure I'll have more questions later :p

14. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hey Honestcoins, you should think twice before you go down this road with pandas , your $1000-$2000 will be gone quickly and before you know it you will be so far into the woods you may never find your way out. Dont believe me? just go read the pandas anonamous thread!

15. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

16. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

17. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

^^ Nice coin, which would go nicely with my newly purchased 2001D, but this seller is only shipping within America....shame :(

I read recently that most Chinese Pandas are bought by the Chinese, so this seller is blocking out most of their potential market??? and me, of course :)

18. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

Hello Honestcoins,

I'm curious as to what percentage of "profit" you are looking to make on a $1,000 to $2,000 investment in a six month time frame?

I will be frank and honest with you ... In my opinion I don't think you can invest $2,000 into anything (legal) and expect a reasonable profit in six months.

If there is something that you are more familiar with regarding investments then I would recommend sticking with that because Pandas just as any other Modern Chinese Coin (or numismatics) would take a fair amount of research on your part to properly formulate an investment plan.

It would be nice and easy if a person could just pop into an internet forum and ask "what to buy" for a short term investment of six months and then six months later cash out with profits I really wish it were that easy but unfortunately it is not my friend.

Personally I would forget about the idea buying OMP coins for grading submission with only $2,000 as grading cost, shipping and the risk of low grades would probably give you a decent collection but nothing you could profit on in a six month period.

Possibly you could do some research and buy a few nice graded pandas for lower than normal prices and hope that in six months you could sell for a profit but that involves a lot of speculation. Who knows where the coin market will be six months from now?

I'm not saying that Pandas or any numismatics are not profitable at all the point I'm trying to convey is unless you are a large volume dealer any type of numismatics would not be the optimal play if you are looking for a short term profit in six months.

As I previously conveyed I'm really not sure what investment has a decent return in only six months, if you know of some let me know.

Good luck on your investments !

19. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

Well, currently I have been doing well moving limited mintage coins around the world from locations where they are less rare to locations where they are super rare. I have certainly found that profitable.

My hope was that I could do something similar with pandas by having them graded and flipping em(basically charging a service fee for doing the work to buy/get graded/sell) and based on the initial reactions to my question there seemed to be some promise to the idea. However, I've done some perusing of prices on several years and it seems my hopes don't meet up with reality. I'm going to keep looking for ways but right now it does not seem promising.

For now, I will stick to what I know and keep looking for options to expand in to :)

Thanks for your response comeaux

20. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

Which limited mintage coins are you referring to and how do you move them from one part of the world where they are common to another part of the world where they are rare?

Would not the internet solve these problems for people along with international shipping ?

Just curious and maybe I want to buy some of these rare coins you are selling