Probably an old question from a newbie -regarding coin value

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 2dollarbill, Mar 29, 2016.

1. 2dollarbill

2dollarbill New Member

In the past couple months, I decided to buy a bit of silver. Initially, I went to a coin shop, and they recommended the American Eagle. They sold me some 2013. Last week I bought a variety of rounds and coins from Provident Metals. I did buy a few cool kraken queen and Elemental coins for fun, but for the most part stuck to coins and rounds that I thought were attractive but had a low premium over the spot price.

I was just comparing the Silver Eagles on ProvidentMetals. And I don't understand the valuation between the years. I know this changes minute by minute, but as I write the 2013 Eagle is $22.33 per individual coin. The 2016 is only $18.12. Okay, so I see that there's a bit of a mark up for previous years. But the buy back price is only $16.79 for the 2013, and $16.99 for the 2016. The 2013 costs $4 more, but the buy back is .20 less. How does that make any sense? I feel a bit cheated after buying the 2013s.

I do plan on just holding on to the silver for awhile. If we never need it due to hard times, we'll probably just leave it to the kids. So, long-term I know the premium probably won't be a huge deal. But I really don't understand the benefit of paying a higher premium for a coin just because it was printed more than 2 or 3 years ago. I assume the value is arrive at by demand. But why would there be any kind of demand for a coin that costs $4 more but has a buy back value of .20 less?

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the forum 2dollarbill!

Supply and demand dictates much of dealers' pricing on buy back and selling.

I believe the buy back price reflects the individual dealers' wants/capacity for a particular item. If dealer A has 500,000 2013 ASE's already in stock and dealer B has only 100 in stock, much more than likely than not, dealer B (everything else being relatively equal) may pay more at this moment for 2013 ASE buy back than dealer A.

Recent years ASE bullion has been minted in the tens of millions....so it's not like at any given moment a dealer couldn't see a palate with 2,000 of the same year ASE come thought the door and a couple hours later a palate of 4,000 come through the door. I am just throwing out numbers just to make a point....I have no idea how much volume a big dealer may get in one day.

If you are looking for ASE's that will appreciate nicely in value, I think you will need to somehow get lucky enough to find one of these at a good price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Silver...898614?hash=item41a78cd3f6:g:K6sAAOSwG-1WzFqo

And as far as I know, the only tubes 1986 ASE's came in were the clear round orange capped tubes. Any 1986 ASE's that are shown in the modern green capped translucent US Mint tubes can not be legitimately claimed to be original tubes as far as I know and the ASE's in such green capped tubes are left overs from searched original coin supplies.

3. ninteno

ninteno Member

for me a 2013 or any other ASE has no more value than the actual year.
    maybe there are some that could generate a bit premium ( graded or pre 2000) but it is nothing more than bullion.
    always check buyback prices before spend any premium on this kind of coins.
    why should a coin with a mintage of 40.000.000 ++ generate premiums.
    see it as "i have to learn money" or ask your local dealer why he asked premium and you feel ripped off. why should you come back and get confidence in what he wants to sell to you.
    maybe this helps yourself feel better and maybe you get a real good price on your next purchase.