Private messaging functionality available again

Discussion in 'Forum News / Announcements' started by Administrator, Jan 26, 2013.

1. The private messaging functionality has been re-enabled.

Just a reminder on the facility, as per the forum rules page:

There are over half a million private messages in the database - as the recent security issue faced by some members caught out by the phishing incident highlighted, this facility should not be considered a secure form of communication - it is there for convenience.

Have a think about what you are committing to storage in the forum database when you send a private message - just like email, two copies of the message are created - one in your sent folder, one in the recipients inbox. Deleting a message you have sent or received does not delete the other copy - so if you are using it to send details regarding trades, such as a home address for shipping, please seriously consider getting yourself a post office box, as has been recommended many times by many users in threads touching on privacy and safe trading.

Also - there are a number of site sponsors using the PM function as a primary means of communication with members - as this shutdown illustrates, it should not be relied on as a guaranteed service - I strongly encourage site sponsors to consider email as a primary communications method with customers once a relationship has been established - this will ensure that any future impacts to the private messaging facility will not have a detrimental business impact. There is an email link under each member's profile - it is possible to directly email a member through the forum and switch to email communications to separate your business activities from this forum.

Lastly - do not click on website links from people you do not know - regardless of how cheap they are claiming to be selling silver. I would not doubt for a minute that this type of social engineering hack won't be attempted again through the forum.

2. nutshell

nutshell Active Member

private messages via the Silver Stackers forum should not be considered a secure means of communication

I had not considered this before, silly me. I have not undertaken any trades for a couple months so all my PMs with bank details and address are in the old PM database. Is this database going to be shredded?

I suppose in the future an email to vendor/buyer with that is deleted by both parties after necessity would be the best way to go with only friendly/preliminary talk in PM's