Pre-1933 $20 Liberty Head Coin

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by ZaidaBoBaida, Dec 28, 2018.

1. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

I've come into possession of a 1903 $20 Liberty Head Gold coin. It is not in a capsule and it has not been graded. My husband says he thinks it's between MS 63-65. I plan on buying a capsule for it tomorrow. But, would it be worth the money to send it in and have it graded? When I look online at similar coins - they're all graded and slabbed. I mean I'm not planning on selling it any time soon. It's part of my retirement stack.

2. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes send it for grading if you think its in a pretty good shape.best way to preserve a coin.

3. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

I'll upload it later - I think it's in good condition, but I'm no expert - lol, but like I said - I'm not planning on selling it any time soon. It's part of my retirement stack. I did get a capsule for it today. I showed it to our coin shop guy, and he said, "Wow! Santa really did come to your house, didn't he?"

4. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Those pre-33 liberty and the eagles and half eagles were circulated, so they are pretty much just spot + premium. Their premium is higher than UK colony sovereigns... but not by a whole lot.

Unless it really looks amazing and/or is known to be a rare year, I think you are just eating into your profits with grading it. Do your research, though.. you never know. Maybe look at eBay sold listings for the same coin before you spend the grading money?

Disclaimer... I don't even put my gold in capsules, only plastic flips. Gold doesn't tarnish, and I'm buying the metal, not the sparkle. Lol.

5. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

How do you check on e-bay what these things actually sell for? I see some buy it nows for around $1700, but they're graded.

6. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Prices listed don't matter (on eBay or apmex or anywhere). It is fine to look at what bullion sites or eBay people list these for, but it really doesn't matter unless you know they are selling at those marks. They probably are not selling any (esp if they are significantly higher than ones for sale elsewhere), so list price is irrelevant... unless it is basically spot, obviously. Me and another dealership could be selling 1964 Corvettes for $500k, but we would also just be watching them collect dust... doesn't make them worth that price.

Run an ebay search, then click "sold" box on the options on the left side. That will show you completed listings that actually sold. Keep in mind that you still aren't getting a completely accurate representation, though. Some of those had best offers accepted (price will be crossed out and it will tell you the seller took best offer), some were probably "sold" yet buyer never paid for it or returned it, item was relisted many times before it sold, etc. But still, that will give you a general idea of price range if there have been quite a few similar ones sold in the past year... "comps" as real estate people like to say.

You should end up with something like this link. appears the $20 double eagle you hold has roughly 10% premium like most pre33 gold, but liquidity is low (only 1 or 2 of that coin and year sold over past 3 months on ebay... all except one graded one sold for basically spot + 10%). You might be able to change the search terms and see what you can come up with that best matches your coin. Also keep in mind the price of gold has crept up a bit recently:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1903+liberty+head+$20+gold&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=1903+liberty+head+$20+gold+coin&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

GL, but doesn't look like grading would be worth it on this one unless it really does look like it will achieve a primo mark (and even if it does, it will surely take awhile to find a buyer who will pay for that high premium). If you're sending in other stuff anyways, then sure, but you be the judge of risk/reward/liquidity/delay that grading will do for your sale.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    ZaidaBoBaida likes this.
  7. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

Okay - doing that it looks to be between 1300-1400 - which is about what I paid for it.