platinum, palladium. why the big difference?

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by ego2spare, Apr 13, 2014.

1. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

current price of platinum and palladium is $1550 / $858 AU.
    i never understood the price difference. they are both used for almost the exact same industrial things. here is a pic of
    the world production of both metals in oz since January and the column on the right is the worlds metal reserves in oz.

[​IMG]

they are so close! can someone explain this to me.

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't get it either, but I almost posted today on the palladium chart which is progressing very well. I think palladium has spiked above platinum at times, and according to a few sources I've seen, palladium is rarer than platinum. That was surprising. Easily the best long term chart of the precious metals imo.

"Palladium is 15 times more rare than platinum and 30 more rare than gold"
    PALLADIUM: It May Again Become The Most Precious Metal

http://forums.silverstackers.com/search.php?search_id=1525713645

3. ego2spare

maybe were the only ones who have figured out that they are the exact same metal just with slightly different weights lol.
    been thinking about stacking one for a couple weeks now. starting today palladium is going to be part of my stack.

4. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you are looking at diesel stream oxidative catalyst then platinum is required. You can use mainly palladium (small % Pt ) for gasoline catalysts but palladium is not very good in diesel. As 50% of all cars in Europe are diesel and 100 of all trucks and large generators Europe is going to need more Pt. I am not sure what the global fleet allocation is to diesel but as diesel is 40% more efficient it will grow.

These metals are not not completely interchangeable !

5. ego2spare

hmmmm.. lets say they start slowly phasing out deisel and petrol over the next 15+ years. most cars are hydrogen, electric, all trucks start to be realsed with a different energy source and a hell of alot of cars basically become some type of prius. in that world which would be the winner platinum or palladium?

6. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If pigs grew wings would they fly? Hydrogen ?? haha do you know how they get hydrogen commercially its from NatGas, Cleave of H2 and pump off Co2. Yes CO2 released at source haha so much for green BS. The energy costs of production, cost of storing it and the tank designs required for safety are ludicrous - remember the Hindenburg ? Hydrogen powered, government sponsored, look green buses are a great advert for the BS climate change Greenies - commercial application is but a dream. What do you gain ??

Electric ??? come on get serious. Oil diesel petrol and gas will continue to power cars, trucks and heavy haul locomotives for the next decades and longer.