platinum and where's it going

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by Iluvnumbers, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Iluvnumbers

Iluvnumbers Member

Hi All,
    I have been holding onto a bit of platinum for some time and it had a small drop some time back but has had no real movement. Anyone got any thoughts on its next move? Anyone holding a lot of it perhaps hoping for a $2200+ price as was a few years back. Interested in anyones thoughts. Many thanks, cheers

2. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Son of a conch!, no replies yet >_>

Well I guess I'll break the silence here.

I was looking to buy some platinum earlier in the year.
    Based on the market conditions at the time, I believed it had potential to reach it's old highs.
    Would have been just like 2008 - everything going upwards until GFC2.
    I was prepared to go in and buy up while GFC2 was far away.

...and then the japs got hit by natural disasters (or HAARP :p).

Platinum took a hit due to its use in conventional vehicle manufacturing and I moved my prediction of GFC2 closer due to the new complications.

I thought "it's gonna take a looooonnnggg time until they sort this one out", and "no way it's some small leak".

With that, I gave up on the platinum plan for the meantime.
    The only time I _might_ get into platinum is when its near the bottom during GFC2.
    However, my targets are already set and they don't include Platinum.

IF I changed my mind, I would not be expecting returns for years.
    Probably 3 - 5 years.

Industry needs to pick up again, or alternatively, "the good times" need to come back to people so they spend on discretionary items which use platinum.

I don't wanna be a drop bear though :(

If I had platinum already, I'd be holding. e.g. If I bought in December 2010, I'd still be holding it now, I wouldn't sell it.
    I'd rather continue being productive for my next investment than sit around and sook that my platinum is not going anywhere. :p

3. Iluvnumbers

Iluvnumbers Member

Many thanks JNKMBX much appreciate your input, I was starting to think I had written this thread with invisible ink!! HaHa!
    Cheers, Peter

4. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I picked up a 1/2oz proof platinum Koala a couple of months ago
    No intentions of selling for a long time, just like to have a bit of variation (and aussie history) in the stack
    Don't really know how to read the market for platinum (or Palladium, got some of that too) but as Platinum is 'even better than gold', thats good enough for me ;)

5. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

I see platinum as a bit of a dead end. Major use in car manufacture screams inverse price trend to oil.

Oil goes up - less people can afford to run/buy cars - less demand for platinum to make them.

Palladium however I believe is the one to get into. Not as a wealth preservation medium such as gold - more as a bet on something that has the potential to skyrocket due to new uses in a new energy age.

I have read some interesting research by a physicist Frank Znidarsic - look him up!! his research papers are available on torrents. He has working models and experimental proof of cold fusion using palladium to extract energy out of water.

Not a sure bet as no one can tell how effective this could be. No one can tell if this technology will ever be allowed to become commercial - the scientific community has certainly ignored his finding thus far.

Depending on your mathematical ability/understanding of physics concepts you might enjoy a series of videos covering Franks papers.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Review...ion_Explained_In_Detail:_A_New_Era_in_Physics

6. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Be diversified gold, silver, platinum and palladium. They will all increase in dollar terms but not all at the same rate so keep a bit of each. Platinum is such a small market with all the platinum ever mined easily fitting into your average sitting room and only one real mine (Rustenberg South Africa) and with labour problems and talk of nationalisation who knows? A bit of action in this sector could easily push prices skywards. You cant use palladium for disel converters so platinum is a must for diesels. I recall it is 1 ounce for 3 cars. I dont know about large trucks ?? In the short term if the guru's are correct and we have a general tank in the economy this year (similar to 2008) then platinum and palladium will also likely fall in value but I am convinced they will rebound once people start to flee paper. With these spikes markets overshoot and there will be great oppotunity. Gold will be a bit more steady - Silver ?????