Peak everything...

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Dwayne, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I don't know how many people have come across this already, but it's an essay by Jeremy Grantham of GMO Capital fame talking about commodity cycles, metals, energy, population pressures, economic issues and a whole bunch of things. Incredibly interesting whether you agree with him or not - though a warning, it's not short.

http://www.gmo.com/websitecontent/JGLetterALL_1Q11.pdf

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Punch in any commodity chart and everything looks like the run up to the GFC in'08 again.

It's scary.

3. Trichter

Trichter Member

A lot of truths in there but nothing radically new in there regarding resource depletion. Whether nominal commodity prices continue to rise or not, they will become more expensive eitherway.

"Climate change is associated with weather instability, but the last year was exceptionally bad. Near term it will surely get less bad."

Like the record high surface temperatures in the GoM and the associated tornadoes hey?

4. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

No, nothing particularly new, but it's comprehensive, well written and unusual to see something like that from a mainstream investor, particularly one as well-known as Jeremy Grantham.

5. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

We all know that commodities in general and silver in particular will go to much higher in the future. The question is will there be a big enough dip, I believe that there will as similar to the GFC as people will initially rush to cash as assets are liquidated. Then I believe is the time to get in before silver goes off.

6. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Agreed, think we will have to endure losses in the future but load up again while its cheap. Even if it takes another 5-10 years for it to really take off i don't care.. who knows when it will happen, im sure there will be policy after policy, manipulation/intervention after manipulation/intervention. Just need to be prepared and have patience. if it doesnt take off within 10 years it will have it's day in the sunshine once again some other time.

7. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I've noticed that too. A while ago actually.
    Same with stock charts.

Some companies have reached their pre-GFC levels or a just below them.
    What happens next is GFC2 in my opinion.

But at the end it's just a hunch, and I could be completely wrong :/