Panda 2000 Mirror. Is this double seal the real deal ?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Dynoman, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Got my eys on this coin. Can any Pandamodiums confirm the packaging is genuine Mint Seal ?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

another fake

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Black nose :p

4. comeaux

coin is fake, packaging is fake ... should be OMP from Shanghai Mint

5. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Real 2000 Mirror shown here in Original Mint Packaging.

6. comeaux

The coin yennus displays is authentic, also notice how the fake coin in first picture attempts to closely copy Shanghai OMP ... FAIL.

Also notice on fake coin where the .999 is ... you also see another dark spot right by the "." in front of 999, this is where the silver plating tends to wear off on these fakes.

This "additional" dot is prevalent in 2000 mirror fake.

7. comeaux

Unless you know the seller very well or can distinguish authentic coin from fake ... I would advise anyone wanting a 2000 mirror to spend a little extra and purchase it certified/graded.

The extra money spent is worth the piece of mind that you have a real 2000 mirror plus higher resale value (and easier) ... just my opinion.

8. comeaux

I appologize for crappy iphone pictures but here are my two 1 oz Silver 2000 Chinese Pandas NGC MS69.

One is the 2000 frosted ring and one is the 2000 mirror ring. Although the main difference is the rings on the temple side, I also find that they have a different finish on the panda side as well.

The mirror panda seems to have a smoother, higher gloss finish in my opinion :)

[​IMG]

9. donkarnash

donkarnash Member

comeaux, these are v v nice coins, both on my wish list...well done....you've got some beauties.....

10. yennus

Wow! Very pretty! If only we get graded coins more easily in Australia... :)

11. comeaux

Thank you guys for the appreciation of my coins and the very nice compliments as well ... it is greatly appreciated :)

You know when I began collecting Chinese Pandas I only wanted them raw in OMP.

Then as I had nearly 300 in all varieties gold/silver and many of the more rare pandas, I started getting them graded since it was cheap, easy & could be done rather quickly.

Now about 90% of my collection is graded and those that are not graded it is because they are in special sets from the Chinese Mint. I now also have all submitted coins NCS conserved as it is only $5 extra and they are preserved and guaranteed for life.

I am not going to tell everyone their coins should be graded because mine are but I would say it is a good idea and especially if you buy a coin of high value, either buy it graded or get it graded afterwards.

It would be great if you guys here in Australia would have an easy and affordable way to submit for grading. It may not be easy now but I feel it soon will be; it's only a matter of time.

Aside from grading for conservation/preservation of coins, it also makes them very much more liquid and the lifetime guarantee makes it all worth the $22.50 per coin. I can get that back when the coin is sold.

But everything considered in the end as long as someone is happy with their collection regardless if graded or OMP, that is the most important of all.

12. yennus

It would be really great if NGC has an authorised dealer in Australia where we could send our coins to... such a shame we aren't able to properly participate in the grading arena... yet.

Hopefully soon we will :)

I am a lowly collector, but if I were a dealer, you would be fairly sure I would be signing up as an Authorised NGC Dealer :)

*That's a hint for Australian dealers* :)

13. comeaux

hello yennus ... I know this is getting off topic and I'm sorry for that but you may want to look into NGC membership. it only cost me $100 USD and you get 5 free submissions so it pays for itself.

Only thing I'm not sure of is the shipping from Australia but Fedex is fairly dependable. I know I shipped a guy some coins to malaysia and it only took three days.

Then again I'm not familiar with shipping, customs, etc but I'm sure it could be done efficiently, you just have to research it maybe ?

Good luck to you man :)

14. yennus

Thanks comeaux... this is something mmm....shiney and I are looking deeply into :)

15. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Fee for service I'd be happy with that Yennus, have a stash of nice ones I'm keen to preserve.

16. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Started out in the silver OMP silver and gold pandas. But now have found proof 5oz silver and graded coins.
    Now I only buy OMP coins from trusted SS members like Yennus,Fishball and Maggie but there are others or graded coins from US eBay.

17. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

+1. Got a few random coins I'd love to grade, especially the proof coins that have no COA or box :p

And of course, the fractional gold pandas...although I highly doubt they'd get a 70 :lol:

18. Mohur

Mohur New Member

19. comeaux

Hi Fishball ... you may be pleasantly surprized as I felt the same as you but when I got seven of my 1/10th fractionals back ... 3 of them were amazingly 70's !!!

As long as they have been stored well and handled with extreme care ... you have a very good chance at 70's or even 69's which are still great !!!

Good Luck ! :)