OZ Banks + Derivatives

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Old Codger, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

2. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't understand much of it but one part states most of the bank's FX derivatives are to hedge their own overseas borrowings.

Potential SHTF scenario is a real estate crash, banks see defaults on loans go up and then their overseas borrowings come up for rollover in a few years time ??

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

OC..When i mentioned derivatives some months ago, I was under the impression that as you have been in the banking industry that there was nothing to worry about. Have you shifted your position. :) Please don't take this comment as me been a smart arse as I always enjoy your input into banking related posts. :) [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6_6eEZkCUc[/youtube]

I still think that derivatives will bring many corporations and countries to their knees.

I have posted this video clip from youtube which is one of many on the subject..

Errol43

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Errol,

I will watch the delightful young RT lady later.

Up to my retirement I had never heard the term 'Derivatives'. I am near to certain they did not exist.

From what i can see and read, the RBA does not seem all that concerned about them, but the figures i read ring a loud bell with me. I can see a domino effect and if one big bank goes bad, it will take the lot with them.

OC