Numismatic sets

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by scone, Apr 2, 2012.

1. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

G'day all. I've got quite a few numismatic sets and was wondering about peoples feelings on them. I'm smart enough to not be weighed down by them and have bullion also. The prices of the numismatics is quite high when they sell new, and people don't want to pay much more than spot when second hand. They kinda seem like buying a new car, instant price drop. The stackers are a tough crowd and I'm not sure what people will pay for my beautiful numismatics and I'm a bit hesitant to advertise and suffer losses. Being a newbie on the scene and all, I more than likely paid to much, dunno? Still think they're great tho :)
    Are they worth owning or just buying as gifts? :p
    The first in a series seems the only coin that holds-gains value?
    Some sets for some reason go through the roof and have the same mintage as others that do nothing. 5000 redbacks, 5000 Dragons of legend? Dragons are way sexier.
    Are they just a gimmick to get us to buy less for more?

2. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

pretty much found my answer's in Bullion Baron's blog, but still happy for any input :cool:

3. RA

RA New Member

What did you find out?

In my mind these are art that have a melt content! =) Some coins are more than coins, their design leave an impression or gives an atmosphere or feeling when your around or think of it. The geometry of the design has impressions on our subconscious. At least that's me! Think of the golden ratio found in nature, it's just pleasing to your being. The dragon sets are beautiful and I'll bet you the colored dragons will surprise in the coming years.

There's a stigma against colorized and gold gilded bullion by a lot, but I think that's going to change. I'll take a silver coin with gold on it over one without anyday

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.antiquestradegazette.com...-a-right-royal-mint-rip-off,-says-top-dealer/

There really needs to be a better distinction between numismatics and modern collectibles. In my mind they are not the same but I know to many people, any precious metal that isn't in bar form is numismatic.

As you have found, the issue price is very high, the intrinsic value is very low and the demand is not there. EBay is the place to sell these (I was about to say, peddle these but that is unfair!)

In McDonald's price guide you can see that many sets are currently selling below issue price, it is only the relatively recent rise in silver value which has resuced some sets from melting.

I think it is hard to pick out the next Redback as there was nothing in particular about the coin that made it stand out, it is all driven by speculators and who knows what drives them, other than greed?

I have some numismatic coins, many are not silver and they are worth more than the silver 'numismatic' coins coming out of the mint. Old Morgan Dollars, Roman coins, Australian Pre decimals and those with historical value can be good investments now but you need to do some research. Anyone can collect a set from the Perth Mint and that does affect the value.

I would only buy them if I didn't mind never selling them! I have some of the coloured dragons, I don't expect them to go up in value (some are already selling for less than I bought them) but I wanted them for my collection, they would have been a bad investment though, maybe they will appreciate in time or silver will go to $100 and I can make some money on them!