Noticeboard at my supermarket looking to buy 1966 50c coins

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bungo, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

I think Jeff needs some hammer time!

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't really have anything against that business in all honesty, they're not forcing anyone to sell.
    Look, at the end of the day if the seller is happy that's all that matters. Be it my free ads or Cash4golds spammed ads it doesn't matter, we're not forcing anyone to sell anything.

You don't buy anything for what it is truely worth, the world doesn't work that way.

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was up on the Sunshine Coast on the weekend and there was a similar ad in a local paper from a jeweler/coin dealer!

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I was in Las Vegas about a month ago. An old lady brought in 2 x 100oz Englehard bars, the real old ones. She said she was selling them for $$$ for her grand-daughter to help with college. The bars apparently were bought in like the early 70's or something by her dead hubby.

Anyway, spot that day was $US33 an oz. The shop offered and she sold them for $US27 an oz.

20% below spot. Yes a shop wont buy for spot but 20% is theft and I kind of felt bad for her so I didnt buy anything at that shop (plus Nevada has an 8% sales tax on all silver coins!).

5. Philski

Philski Member

I picked up a few nice coins and collections on gumtree, but within a month several dozen others where offering the same sort of wanted deal and it became buyer saturated. i dont normally go after the round 50 or even want them really. However, i sold a couple last week for $51 each. i know they contain silver, and their are zillions of them around, but nice ones, UNC are classic Australian first and last issue silver "decimal" numi to me and priced accordingly. a worn one is worth spot, but a good one is worth lots more. Even though the majority of the market "expects" you to sell them for spot

edit added "decimal"

6. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

under this case, you can ask her if she want sell to you, give her higher price than dealer offered and leave a contact ph number to her. the dealer, however, may pissed off but who care? you pay wht it real worth and that lady happy with your offered, so fair trade.

7. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

nice work! P, they worth around 12 at moment with bullion price, even nice condition, I sold about 200 pieces on this site with market price, never try ebay before as i hate be charged by someone else.

8. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Didn't have a lazy $6k on me !

9. Bandit

Bandit New Member

I received a flyer in the local paper a few months ago now from a group looking to buy gold and silver and coins etc, being into pre decimal coins it caught my attention. They were offering $10 at the time for '66 50c coins which while low at the time wasn't all that bad but still on the low side. I know they have to try to make some money off them.

I read a bit further and noticed they were offering to buy Florins and Shillings as well. Only with these they were offering $2 ea for pre '46 florins and $1 ea for pre '46 Shillings, that's about 5 x less than it's silver value even at the moment. The funny part was when they pointed out that what they are offering is 10 x FACE VALUE in their advert next to the price.

I can't say I have ever seen anyone try to make a link between it's old face value and it's silver content before. Made me wonder how many people they would catch out, I kept the flyer for a laugh if anyone want's to see a scan.

Bandit.

10. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Well, at least you're consistent with your beliefs. :|

They are happy due to their ignorance.
    I'm sure that smile would turn upside down for some Gold4Cash customers if they were later told what the actual market value was.

That feeling of getting ripped off :/

But there's no need to discuss this further.
    Everyone runs their businesses differently based on their principles.

11. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

+1 to information asymmetry

12. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

If you need to prey on peoples stupidity just to get ahead in life IMHO its a pretty pathetic life you live... oh and yes Karma is a bitch

13. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

It's not about stupidity, this is in theory the same as Store A selling an ASE for $40 and Store B selling an ASE for $37.

A saavy consumer can and will most likely find Store B and go buy from them, however there will be some who buy from Store A due to laziness or other reasons.

Stores are free to charge whatever they like or offer whatever they like, I don't see the outrage at Perth Mint for their massive bid/ask spreads? Why not?

Because of choice. You can sell elsewhere, you can buy elsewhere, they are NOT a monopoly.

14. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

At what price point does this become an issue for those who are against it?
    If I offered someone $12, that'd be fine, what about $11? Maybe $10? Is spot price a decent offer, or am I ripping them off because they don't know there's a small premium and are only going on the silver content?

15. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

good point, how many would you take off an old lady for .50c each, if God has not given you enough brains and drive to make it in this world honestly by working hard and smart then IMHO it is best just to starve and die. Or you could just take the lot and buy yourself a PS3 :|

16. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't take them off someone for 50 cents on principle. I'd probably offer $10. A round even number.
    Not to mention if you're buying them for spot, or even a little over spot, it's then you that holds the burden and has to hope silver goes up to even benefit from buying them.

17. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Exactly so at some point in $$ you are ripping people off, cash4gold and other such ventures cross that point.

18. Ausecon

Ausecon Member

I'd have to agree with RM here. If you're just offering to buy something from someone it's up to them to choose whether or not to sell. I don't think price matters. I take your point on people with specific disabilities, but if they person is fully functioning and capable of googling how much a round 1966 is worth (which literally takes 0.18 seconds and produced 37,900 results) then it's not an issue in my opinion. If someone can't ask themselves why is someone willing to by this off me at this price, then lord help us all.

However, if you intentionally mislead people then that's different (e.g. x times face value etc).

I don't think the fact that you might make money if silver price or premium goes up matters. You could also lose money if the opposite occurs, and given volatility, who knows.

My moral compass sometimes goes awry so i might be off point here, interested in others thoughts.

Cheers

19. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

So in using the above situation, it would seem that it is ok for ss members to send lowball offers as they are just "offers" and no one forces you to sell.

20. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I think sending lowball offers via PMs when the seller/buyer has clearly stated their price/limits can be seen as rude.
    After all, both people will know its a lowball offer.

If a SS seller is desperate to sell, they might have to accept it, but that's a risk they were willing to take, knowing all the facts.