kooks mintage

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by justin536, Nov 8, 2011.

1. justin536

justin536 Member

hey guys whats the 2012 kookaburra mintage?

2. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

3. justin536

justin536 Member

is that much? what cheap coins are worth getting that will get good premium not lunars already have

4. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

relatively low mintage bullion. can't say what will get good prems but worth getting IMO. 2011 pandas are cheap too

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Panda mintage is in the millions. The .999 fine or better 1oz bullion coins limited by law to 1 million or less are as follows:

Lunars 300000
    Kooks 500000
    Canadian Wildlife 1000000

If there are other coins, I would be interested in learning of them.

6. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

I was going to say britannia, but it's not 99.99

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

The Britannia is the reason I added the .999. :) Plus it usually has a higher premium than the coins I listed. I am still limiting myself to bullion silver with low premiums and low mintage.

8. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Brits have a max mintage of 100,000 as far as I know. They are 95.8% pure, but contain a pure silver weight equivalent of 1 troy ounce. The older releases are pricey to acquire, but you can still get the 2010 and 2011 for reasonable prices. The 2012 you'll be able to pick up for probably the same price as a Kook or Lunar.

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

RAM's $1 Kangaroo is usually 20,000 but its premium has been raised this year and is like $87 a coin which I wont be touching.

10. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I mostly buy gold now. On silver, I am trying to stay within my self imposed premium limit of $6.00. I haven't seen Britannias that cheap, but I really haven't looked very hard.

11. goldilox

he didnt ask what was 999 or low mintage but what will get a premium

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Not sure what you don't understand about my answer. Low mintage coins with a low premium probably have the best chance at premium appreciation. Also, .999 coins are the easiest for buyers to understand and they avoid the import tax issues.

The reason I mentioned the mintage for the pandas is that the new limits could greatly affect the premium appreciation. Yennus will disagree, but you if go from producing a few hundred thousand of an item to producing several million of that same item, demand has to increase by an equivalent amount or the price will be affected. Obviously demand is increasing or the Chinese government would not be increasing the mintage limits. However, they are guessing at the demand and the 2011 pandas have not sold out. The premium appreciaton for the low mintage pre 2011 pandas is not a good guide for appreciation of the post 2010 pandas.

Even the kooks have had their mintage upped from 300000 to 500000 in 2011. The lunars, excepting the 2012 dragon, have been issued with a low premium and have a good track record in recent years of outstanding premium appreciation. The lunars also have the lowest mintage limit of the .999 coins I listed. The new Canadian Wildlife coins have also shown excellent premium appreciation in their first year of issuance. If you look at the recent ebay sales of the 2011 coins that I mentioned (lunar rabbits, kooks, grizzlies & pandas), the sales prices are in order of the mintages. The grizzlies and pandas are close in sales prices, but the grizzlies had the lower premium on issuance. The lone exception to the rule is the Canadian Timberwolf coin which is higher than the kooks. However, the Timberwolf coin is the first of the series and it may have an extra premium for being the initial coin.

13. goldilox

dont worry, i get it but what i am saying is the 2011 panda premium will likely appreciate some, possibly more than kooks, possibly not.
    yes i'm sure the canadian wildlife coins would be worth getting, but it is a matter of preference & one doesn't discount the other.
    the grizzlies are not being produced anymore so they are already seeing a premium, whereas the 2011 pandas are still being produced.
    timberwolves do have a nice premium. to me they are the only appealing design of the series so far.
    plus the quality of canadian coins is not right up there so milk spots might affect longer term premiums.

14. knowles3

knowles3 Member

agreed, the wolf is amazing, the grizzly and cougar are both so-so, with the kooks, doesnt it come down to the design?