Kookaburras Picking Up Steam Again

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silverlover, Sep 27, 2011.

1. silverlover

silverlover Member

There was a time when kookaburras (price wise) were thought to be where Lunars are currently, but unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. They were "just better than Eagles". Even when Silver was on the uprising, Eagles were almost on par as the Kooks.

Lately that hasn't been the case in the past month. The kooks have been selling well on Apmex and premiums were rising a fair amount.
    Well, just saw an auction here where a 1990 Kook, a toned kook that is, was sold for more than double the spot.
    It wasn't even a worldwide auction (which of course always gets a much higher price), it was a standard US and Canada one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Austra...pt=AU_Coins2&hash=item1c1f1602e8#ht_814wt_922

Then there is 2008 Kook which has been doing excellent as well (gilded one usually twice as better, which I even devoted a whole thread on before).

But not only the key years are doing nice, but the overall kook market is doing really well. Perhaps the "dragon rage" gave kooks a new light.
    I've sold/traded a fair amount of kooks for Pandas, (I still have a bit, but wish I had more) and don't regret that decision, but nice to see kooks get a nice deserved boost.

2. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

The current lunar series wasn't popular when it first came out but has really taken off lately, the tiger helped boost interest a bit before dragon mania hit. Kooks are still great but the mintage going up to 500,000 for the 1oz might have taken the wind out of them temporarily.

3. silverlover

silverlover Member

4. silverlover

silverlover Member

On the flip side, many of the 10ozers have NOT been following the same suit as the 1 oz coins. Apmex still has a decent amount for sale and eBay auctions have been so-so lately. The only hot 10 oz coin is again the famed 2008 kook. I personally love my 10 oz kooks but may have to unload one soon to get 1 oz coins or to go after key coins in the Panda market.

Do understand that i still think 10 oz kooks have a great future ahead. Just right now there is a huge demand for smaller unit coins.

5. upandaway

upandaway Member

SilverLover, agree with the flat-lining in many of them and love your obvious enthusiasm but is double spot for a coin that is 20 years old been a good punt? I think I'd be very disappointed with that return. I love the Perth Mint coins, compare quality of a Kook with most Canadian bullion coins...well there is no comparison, but it appears to me very hit and miss with both Koalas and Kooks.

My regular dealer has a good supply now in stock 2000-2003, 2007 and 2011,2012 and the premium on the older stuff is just 10%. They are far nicer than Eagles or Maples but I'd never take a punt on them to be a riser. They should be but sadly aren't at present. Is it mintages perhaps?

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

rubbish koalas are king

7. silverlover

silverlover Member

ThNks for the reply. You are not the only one who has been disappointed with expectations of kooks. I have been there as well.

Until now.

While it does seem disappointing for a Kook to get double the return, you have to understand that the auction was for US/Canada only. Worldwide auctions usually fare better. Also -1990 kooks have seen 2.5x return many times before.

But my main point is not so much the price of that coin, but that kooks are "just" starting to get popular here in the US. Also the 2008 kook on rare occasions will get triple returns but let's focus on where kooks are headed.

Im enthusiastic about kooks as far as if you are holding them already. Personally if I had extra cash and wanted to build up my bullion stack with some numi-potential, I'd get the 2011 Pandas or Lunar Mouses if they are still cheap.