Jeweller's sale heads-up, 50% off, Brisbane.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Ag-ness, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

Hi all, I passed by Brisbane Estate Jewellery yesterday, at 217 George st Brisbane.

They're a small privately owned place, and the jewellers were really polite and friendly. Anyway, they're coming to the end of their lease and are doing a stock clearout. Signage says most things are 50% off. I didn't have much fiat on me, but I was able to get 4 big chunky silver rings, for close to spot. They have a lot of gold too, and I believe I may have spotted a sovereign pendant or two. Most of the stuff appears to be second-hand, but we like that sort of thing here! There is a lot of it and I would have bought more if I'd had the fiat!

Oh well, maybe some of you might find something!
    Have a good day,
    Ag-ness.

(p.s. I'm not affiliated ^)

2. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Remember though that jewellers mark up can be up to 700% on jewellery.
    If you can buy the sovereigns below spot then let us know.
    Well done on the silver but was it sterling or less ASW ?

3. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

I know about jewellers markups. Some people prefer to buy at jewellers they can trust.
    Hmm. I don't think anyone would ever sell sovereigns for below spot, but if anyone has any tales to that effect, please share!

I've never seen less than sterling at a jewellers, especially not an estate jewellers.
    One ring was 7.8g for $10. (spot today $9.75) They had lots of $10 ones.

4. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

If one happened to be strolling past, one might want to have a look, is all! :)

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Ahahahaha!

You know this is where I met Blockhead hey Ag-ness?

I've been hammering their auctions for a while... Not been to the last 2 though - some absolute STEALS - Jewellery going at under spot. I'll probably hit next months if your going :D

6. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

I can't imagine auctions in that tiny space. Do they do it somewhere else? I've kinda blown all my available fiat for the time being. (When I say blown, I mean spent it all on sterling silver under spot.)

I could sell it, but I'm clearing out some other junk on fleabay at the moment, dvd's and such...

7. RhythmDoctor

yep, its not done there, I'll fill you in on the next one when I find out. Believe me, there's some STUNNING pieces there going at spot and under - they get their valuations done by a friend of a friend, quite the bargain half of the things on sale there...

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well if it isn't a big secret I wouldn't mind diversifying into a bit of sterling jewellery and a trip to the big city is always nice, do they send out an auction catalogue?

I just don't trust most auctioneers (my only experience has been house auctions where it appears that the auctioneer is just adding bids to get the price up, they assure me it is legal but when the guy who knows the price starts putting in bids we usually lose interest!

9. RhythmDoctor

Yep, they do have auction catalogues - I scour them for masonic pieces before I go.

I'll get you all some catalogues for the next auction and hand em out at the meet. Much easier that way... :D