INSIDE LEAK: Boulder Opal will demand a premium due to scarcity

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Water&Food, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Didn't know where to create this thread as the "General Discussion" seems to of been deleted due to possible few naughty by nature members. So, here it is in this category.

Just an update about Australian Opals. :|

Short Story Version:
    Due to Queensland Department of Mines (i.e. the ones responsible for approving new mineral mining claims) making life difficult for miners able to get new claims (this time has nothing to do with Aboriginal Sacred Land) most QLD Miners have already pulled out operations of QLD and settled in either NSW or SA (Ridge and Pedy respectively). There is strong suspicion (that seems to be the most logical and profitable sense) the QLD Dep. Mines is in the Multi Nationals and Big Mine Companies pockets. Many outback towns (incl. Dalby all the way up to Mt. Isa) are under threat by the Mining Giants doing land grabs.

Expected Result of QLD Opal:
    Price rise. Everything from Low Grade right up to Investment Grade will eventually demand more premium over Lightning Ridge Black Opal. Expect typical Gem Grade price-per-carat to reach $5,000 AUD (not taking into consideration inflation and Forex).

When Will This Happen?
    Nobody knows for sure. Should be happening now, but due to obvious current world economical policies the focus has not yet trickled on opal. I personally expect the price hike on QLD Boulder Opal to occur after the world comes out of the soon-to-be hypothetical Great(est) Depression, possibly 2 years after recovery (i.e. when investors start looking for lucrative opportunities).

Personal Rant:
    I am not suggesting that you all buy up Boulder Opal whilst it is still 'cheap'. No, quite the contrary (as some here are already aware of my sentiment regarding typical SHTF discussions) i.e. where I always strongly support stocking the essentials in life such as food and water et cetera.
    I am just merely disclosing information that maybe useful for you (i.e. if you were or are 'investing' in opal).
    However, if you have all your bases covered and are hungry for an early-bird investment opportunity then I can recommend nothing better than QLD Boulder Opal. Does not matter if it is Low Grade (so long as it has basic colour and or striking unusual pattern) or Gem Grade, so long as "you are in it to win it".

Warning and Disclosure:
    Firstly and obviously; I myself am in the Opal industry, but that is not why I am here (re: reason for info et cetera).
    Secondly, it is always possible the QLD Government and Mines Department will turn around a new leaf and start supporting small Enterprises and Businesses (unlikely unless there is a major overhaul), ultimately renewing and approving Mineral Claims which in turn will most likely devalue Boulder Opal to current prices (but will do so on a steady decline unlike typical Precious Metal Bubbles).

~From the Member formally known as...
    You read it here on SilverStackers.com first.
    Info disclosed for your entrainment and 'oh hums' (putting aside your itchy bums).

P.s. In a few months will be taking orders for Opal Lunar sets (stay tuned) made from Lightning Ridge black opal (am not using Boulder Opal period - menopause). No PMs or Questions asking for opal or anything else.
    Fishball for Moderator 2012

2. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

G'day Matrix

3. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Max is back or evil twin? Or good twin?

Anyway hi Max... What's new?

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

things aint been the same since.......

5. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Yes, back.

A Birdy was bragging to me how much of a great bargain she had got on a particular Commercial Grade stone I had 'given' to a top notch member here (no names mentioned) for 'trusting' in me back in my still-newbie days of Metal Trading in SilverStackers.
    I am only upset that the member whom basically 'gave away' the opal for a steal did not realize the actual value behind such a stone.
    No faults or Fractures. Clean. Full-Face. Bright Pin-Fire Ocean Greens rolling into a Yellow Sunset bottom. From the Quilpie Opal Field (now only one major Opal Miner left).

I also 'heard' things had changed here. Disappointing. Perhaps my raging bull ways will spruce things back up. Already been reprimanded once (quite deserved) since returning.

Still have my blue undies (now used for Antennae Booster to help with SBS Signal so my Uncle can watch his damn box churn poison).

6. Guest

Guest Guest

7. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Sorry. Do I know you LadyBird? o_O

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

You don't write for wine labels do you W&F?

9. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

: ) Raging Bull !! You have been missed : )

10. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Welcome back old chap.

11. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Gidday ya big tossa, good to see you back. General discussions still going strong but you newbies are blocked for a few more days!!! :lol