I'm thinking of buying some gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by nsw2206, Jan 8, 2015.

1. nsw2206

nsw2206 Member

Instead of more silver.
    It's a mental thing to part with $1500 for one ounce. I'm struggling to commit..

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't spend it all in one go then.

Buy an unallocated gram of gold for $50.

Do that every week if you can afford it.

then at the end of the year you can add a couple of hundred extra and get 2oz as a Christmas present.

3. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

You can wait a bit for gold to dip: May-June, prolly. But I'm not promising.

Buy 10 grams and the rest silver.

I wouldn't go for the 1 gram gold variant, as it's a lot more expensive per gram (high premiums).

4. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Yeah just buy in a smaller quantity like 1/4 or 1/2 oz. The premiums are not so bad there and you don't have to stress over buying a whole ounce at once.

5. Jsvand5

Jsvand5 Member

Since I have caught up on my perth lunar series in 1/4 oz I have just been buying a 1/10 oz of any coin per month. I don't miss the $140 a month too much and it gets me over an extra oz per year on top of my normal buys. So far I've been mostly adding pandas and lunars.

6. Taz03

Taz03 Member

Agree with the others that fractional coins would be the way to go without breaking the bank.

Keep an eye for current and future sale items. For example, the current GS sale on 1/10 oz lunar horse is a good buy if you are keen to start stacking some gold, IMHO.

7. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I'm saving for 1/4 the only thing I'm undecided on is the mint to buy from. Probably AGE my first go around since I live in the states.

I agree that if you plan on purchasing decent amounts, as in more than just as a novelty, save yourself a lot of money on premiums and shipping and just set money aside to buy 1/4 or maybe 10g bars. To me a one gram bar is nothing more than a novelty item. And 1/10 sounds like kind of a waste of time as well.

8. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

AGE is 22 karat (916), not pure 999. I would go only with 999 bullions, such as Maple leafs, Philharmonics, Kangaroos, Lunars. Pandas, USA have also 999 bullion - buffalo. For some reason I dont like anything but pure gold 999 (24 karat).... Krugerands are also not pure gold.

Someone will say, that 22 carat bullions still contain (for example 1oz of gold) and total weight of coin is little bigger because it contains aditional copper or silver - I see it this way: ok, you buy a new T-shirt. Throw it in to mud. It is now dirty, but it is still that same T-shirt, but only contain aditional mud on it. :D

9. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I didn't know that about AGEs. I will probably buy maples at first.

10. trader10

trader10 Member

It's an investment..... if you can buy the asset and forget about it is the first thing.....

I prefer 80/20 gold/silver...... silver is a precious metals but, also a industrial metal.... I see more potential as wealth preservation on gold... 100 folds more than silver any day..... the big instos and investors also see that way..... you don't hear they repatriating silver... and we'll never will.....

cheers

11. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Same here. Will be waiting/hoping for a tightening first of the GSR, though. A further drop in spot would be nice, too.

Just want to own at least a little at some point, and not just for diversification purposes. Besides, there's only so much Ag you can buy before storage becomes an issue, for one.

I grapple with the nominal price per 1-oz Au coin, so would be starting out with fractionals. I think once you get a few in hand, it might make it that much easier to gradually scale up to 1-oz, which I aim to own someday. At least one, anyway.

Thought about picking up a few 1/10'ers along the way for a while now, but I've seen them in person, and are just too small & too high a premium for me. Would rather save up for 1/4 & up. Of course, that means scaling back on Ag purchases, but I think I'm slowly getting closer, as I'm reaching a point where it would probably make sense to pick up a little Au here & there.

That's another thing.. Which one(s) first?

God, I've got at least 10 potential candidates in mind -- in either the (approx) 1/4 or 1/2-oz modern versions of each, probably eventually a small mix of both. And never mind older gold coins, which I might be interested in somewhere down the road.

This could get dangerous for my wallet.. :lol:

Anyway, good luck to all the Au rookies here. I think it will be well worth it once we get that 1st one in hand.

12. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Sovereigns.1/4.low premium.easily recognized
    Their the way to go.

13. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Do it.. but dollar cost average in .. slow and steady

14. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Thanks, already on the list! I'm definitely a fan of 'em.

I hear what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent.

But at the same time, placing some relatively larger bets after something gets whacked pretty hard for a while can oftentimes produce better results. I've done this with some success in other (non-PM) asset classes. I've recently undertaken something similar with Ag, going a little heavy (for me) the past few months when spot was $17 USD & below, and even down into the $14's.. Time will tell if I made the right call (though I think I have some "protection" as I didn't necessarily go ultra-generic, either).

Have we seen the same with Au? I don't know. At least at quick glance, it doesn't particularly seem like it, comparatively speaking.. Then again, it is a much different beast. For all I know, these could be screaming-buy prices, in hindsight.

Ag just seemed like the better deal to me. And still does. Obviously doesn't mean one still can't do alright with the gold shiny stuff, though.

I don't think I'll go hog-wild with it anytime soon. But it is a question of "when" for me -- not "if." :D

A quick recent scan of my Ag records shows that I'm probably overdue.. or at least ready to start dipping my toes. Definitely have to prepare the budget for this, as these ain't no $25 pieces or whatever, heh. Though I think spending X hundreds on just one Ag kilo, for example, seems like a pretty decent primer for an Au 1/2-oz'er, to help get over that mental "hurdle."

Which brings up a question: Is there an appropriate ratio of gold & silver in one's stack/collection? I'm sure answers will be all over the map. I've done some research on this, but curious what others here have to say.

And what should that be based on? Weight? Dollar amount? Some odd hybrid model of the two? Also: Fluctuating ratio, depending on the GSR along the way? How & how much should that factor into the equation?

Finally, as for slow & steady, I already know right off the bat that I'll have to pick up 2, maybe even 3 (depending on the sizes & spot), Au fractionals at the get-go.. There's no way I'll be happy with just one, because I know if I do that, I'll just be placing an order for the 2nd as soon as I receive the 1st. :lol:

Though after that, I'll have to take my time & choose my spots, for the sake of the wallet.

And my foray will consist of "raw" govt-minted Au coins (from reputable dealers only). I have no real interest in minted bars, though might dabble in small poured/cast at some point well in the future. Slabbed numismatics could also potentially play a small role well down the road, as I'm already fairly-versed re: slabbed Ag coins.

Anyway, apologize for the rambling -- but that just means I'm getting way more serious about this. Thanks in advance for any answers/comments, and for helping out da Au rookies! :)

15. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Sorry but thats bollocks. krugerrand is accepted everywhere. nothing else counts or is important.

@op get some newer maples with the lasersign for an extra security.