I Guess Milking the dragon continues

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by JohnBB, Feb 17, 2012.

1. JohnBB

JohnBB New Member

Hi April

I got told by a friend the perthmint is releasing a 10 coin x 1oz dragon set. looks like the chinese issue ones with the colour but the only difference is that it contains an extra bullion none colour coin in it. Just a heads up if you bought the chinese release 9 coin dragon set might be a good time to sell them before these get released

price $990
    mintage - 2500

2. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

The sets are not identical fro your description, so why would people want to sell?

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Are you talking about this:

http://jindiantouzi.com/Products/aozhoulongnian9yin1jin.html

That has 5000 mintage but instead of silver it has 1/4oz Gold. Or have I just discovered another milking strategy? LOL

[​IMG]

Because if what he said is true the release will have a lower mintage and a lower price which kinda sets a ceiling on how high the 9 coin set will go/is worth.

It will have the 9 coins AND an extra coin and logically speaking the 9 coin set will not be worth above $990 (1 extra coin + lower mintage).

4. JohnBB

JohnBB New Member

Hi
    Not exacly the same Fishball. The silver coins are the same ones + 1 more silver 1oz bullion none coloured. NO gold coins

Althou these sets comes in a different packaging the coins are the same as the chinese release ones. Im not saying you have to sell, its just that with the upcoming release, you are getting 10 coins at around the same price as the chinese 9 coins. Some people might find that more value for money.

It only my view on these sets, i didnt mean to offend anyone.

5. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Yet another dragon set, I wonder if PM will have this many snakes late this year/next year??

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Me too, I am guessing not quite as many and maybe not all the Chinese versions but I bet they will make a ton of them., The only way i could see them minting less is if demand falls , but it must be strong this year.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So is the additional 1oz silver bullion dragon going to be one of the 300,000 or is it a new dragon with a different privy mark?

8. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I think it's just going to be another bullion dragon without anything special but it won't be part of the 300,000, it'll part of the set.

9. Kirk

Kirk Member

Getting close to pure insanity ... wth is the mint thinking

not to mention the pissed off distributors still sitting on the 9 coin set - maybe the mint will buy them back to make these sets

what a cluster

10. BBQ

BBQ Member

I will pay a premium for calculated scarcity, particularly those with Liz's head on them (double dragon).

I'll take all the stock I can get my hands on.
    That presentation box alone has to be worth at least $1; what a bargain to have it included.

These coins represent the times we live in so well; they capture the essense of dragons being in-your-face wherever you look. A timeless classic never-to-be-repeated.

11. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Well there must be _something_ different about this additional 1oz bullion dragon. The Perth Mint cannot legally mint more than 300,000 vanilla-flavoured 1oz bullion lunars.

Otherwise, it _is_ part of the 300,000, and the Perth Mint were just hanging onto a few.

12. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Actually I think the Perth mint can do what they want they will consider this as part of a different set so it does not fall under the mintage limit , I believe it is the same with the typeset bullion coin. I am starting to see the way the mintage limit works at the Perth mint. Please correct me if i am wrong about that.

13. rbaggio

Please re-read what I wrote:

"The Perth Mint cannot legally mint more than 300,000 vanilla-flavoured 1oz bullion lunars."

It would require an act of Parliament to change this.

14. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Wasn't there a "vanilla-flavored" dragon in the typeset? That's why I'm thinking they'll just put in a regular dragon and since it's part of this "set" it doesn't fall under the 300,000 limit. I'm just guessing...

15. rbaggio

OK see what you guys are saying.

I'll ask the question over at the Perth Mint blog.

.... not that they seem to be very responsive these days .....

16. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Grrrrrrr!

As someone who championed the 9-coin set I am absolutely FURIOUS with PM

My buddy Jim in Canada had the right idea - he sold 20 of the 9-coin sets at between US1600-1800 within four weeks of release & made a bunce.

I suggest anyone considering buying these new variants do the same - quick flip.

It's just another shit-drop by the PM gnomes... bloody awful strategy.

One would've thought they'd have learned by now - but obviously not.

:mad:

17. SA@YPS

SA@YPS New Member

I'm about done with PM. Just stupid how they are treating their customers putting out all this crap. Every coin/set should have been announced upfront when they started releasing Sept 1st.

Year of the snake for me will consist of one 1oz bullion coin. They can keep the rest. screw them like they screwed us this year.

18. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

I see everyones point and I can see why you may be angry with the Perth Mint but I personally don't mind the milking if you had done as VRS has said (which I did for most of the year) and bought and flipped all the released PM product for the year early you would have made a profit on everything 1oz bullion was almost double what was paid if flipped early 3-coin set & typeset was hugely profitable 1oz Proofs where triple what was paid even the couloured proofs were sellable for a small profit at first. I didn't get the rectangle or the 9-coin set though so I have no experience with these myself.

19. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

One good thing about the continued dragon production & varying designs is that it makes the earlier coins from the 2000 series rare in comparison. On the flip side it decimates the value of the current mintages. When is the next year of the Dragon?

20. asdfghjkl32

asdfghjkl32 Member

9 colour dragons + 1 BU, that's really insane...... If it's real, I'll just buy more different sizes of BUs....