How much silver is enough?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lshallperish, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Well, in many aspects I admire them. They should be more of them, and maybe we all should be like them, the State parasites would quickly fail and their system of dependency creation > power would go into the crapper.
    But atm I don't have the motivation to go as far in this as they do. It will take more to bring me there. And it could be too late then. Bad luck for me. It's a choice, they made theirs, I made mine. Things can change, choices can change, so this is just a current position in this.
    For food, my case is a simple one, I eat bread/cheese/couple kinds of fruit and raw salad. That's all and it's also what I prefer. No hot meals / whatever. Mainly because the rest / most is bah to me, and it's least work.
    Ouija's advice "rotate your pantry and incorporate your stash into you daily meal planning." made me laugh. Meal planning? Let alone "rotating"? haha, I don't have fixed hours to eat, it's subordinated to my activity and events, both at work and home.

2. Howe

Howe Member

When you have all the silver there is, then its enough.

3. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Thats why I like the freeze dried food, only rotate once every 20-25 years. You have to keep your water rotated but its not hard to do that if you already drink water alot.

I always like the argument between whether silver or food will be better in problematic times. Just stack both. 1000$ in food as security to get through an economic hiccup or small natural disaster is just a drop in the bucket compared to what most have stored in silver.

4. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah that is a lame joke, how many people do you know that would trade your metal for food right now? let alone when food is really needed.

really?
    go flick a kook at your neighbor and see if you can get $20 worth of groceries.
    You're with your own on this forum but out in the wild just about every person you run into has no idea about silver.

Such a scenario where you'd need to barter silver for food will never come though, so we're really talking about nothing here.

5. Pirocco

Silver is used as an inbetween step in trading, barter has no inbetween steps.
    If you had said barter carpet for food, and the food owner needed the carpet, and you needed the food, it would have been right.
    Any extra step, is a step towards the use of an inbetween step, a medium of exchange, money.
    I think that the chance is higher that silver is used in this role, than carpets, oil, food, water, etc.
    Good luck finding one that needs something you have and has what the food owner wanted from you in return for his food.
    Hard to read aboves sentence?
    Well, that's why silver is more useful than all those other... barter stuff.
    It makes above much easier. Not because it's name is "silver" but because of some properties related to the work involved to get it, as such, and in recognizable shape.
    Fiatmoney is even easier. But it has some drawbacks, also related to the work involved to get it, haha.

6. Pirocco

6 months freeze dried food means every 24 year 6 months eating it to 'rotate'.
    I think after a week a world war will start in the house. :D
    Or, 24 years every year 1 week eating it to 'rotate'.
    Maybe that will avoid the war lol.
    The kid: ohno it's again that week! Mom Dad! I'm going to camp for a week at the scouts! :D

7. Nabullion Dynamite

Man you all are crazy...everytime I bring up freeze dried food I get the same responce:lol: I howeverI have resist the urge not to pop open my food buckets...then again instant mashed potatoes and cheezy brocolli rice is gourmet compaired to my college diet of ramen noodles and eggs!

8. Pirocco

I AM crazy but that's another story not this one, what I tried to do is approaching this food hoarding in a practical way. In the end, hoarding, self reliance, is all about practice right? The less practical it is, the bigger the hassle and the harder it is to try to live with it.
    But lets move on to this. My eye already catched something. Food in a bucket? Heh. Where I live the only food that is sold in buckets is ment for pigs. I'm not saying that you have to be a pig to eat it, but you get the point. ;)

9. Nabullion Dynamite

I live in the poor mans Vegas and dead center of little mexico, its either Dennys or Jose's taco truck for me. People here think that the Olive Garden is a place you dress up for when going out to dinner so eating freeze dried bucket food doesn't seem out of place :p Perhaps I can make money offering Foie gras and cavier with a light truffle sauce freeze dried and stored in a 24k gold leaf lined mohogany boxes for the people that won't eat instant mac from a bucket :lol:

10. AndyM

AndyM New Member

When I have collected every type of silver bullet that will keep the biggest wolf at bay, that will be enough. Where can I buy a silver cannon ball?

11. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

You guy's that are older... I am telling you now to go and lay some mines and set up some machine gun's because if SHTF happens you guys will be number one targets by people like me.. not that I would do it but the youth would be aiming at the easiest targets

12. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Hope the oldies aren't after fresh young yearling meat. :D
    \

Regards Errol 43

13. Andyt

Andyt New Member

Honour among stackers, that's where it's at

14. Nabullion Dynamite

If its people like you I don't think there would be a problem :lol: I'm not sure where you get the idea that the older people here would be easier targets, they have years of practice ahead of you at protecting thier investments.

15. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

How long is a piece of string? Put down a % of your savings as initial buy and then set a % of your income for new silver, and stick to it. When GSR goes sub 40, switch a % to gold.

16. Pirocco

And then some money flows from silvers to gold market.
    And then gold is dumped.
    And then both markets money goes to somewhere else.
    Usually the same for which the hedge was ment against.
    Good strategy! :D

17. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

I'm unthanking you for this. Just give it a try and see how someone with 20 years more life experience responds. FFS.

18. libertadiac

I think you're on to something

19. libertadiac

If you were born in the 80's you missed the boat - pre ? 83 no CGT. Prices literally doubled in Sydney between 1987-1988 - of course you had to pay 18% interest during "The recession we had to have" from 91, so most people lost their investment properties. So it goes.

20. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Har har.... when the SHTF, the vast majority of today's youth will be pissing their pants in fear when the iPhones stop working and you can no longer buy pretty, prepackaged food from supermarkets.

Meanwhile, the oldies will have little hesitation in skinning and gutting the occasional animal or in doling out a bit of 2x4 discipline.