how and where to trade etf's?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by Wout, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Wout

Wout New Member

Hi, I have recently activated my commsec account for stock trading for my SMSF. What do I need to do to be able to trade ETF's on my SMSF commsec account and how would I go about it?

Thanks

2. euphoria

euphoria New Member

Not sure from the SMSF angle. But I use the eft's through asx. You may just need to sign an option trading form to purchase ETPMAG (silveretf). The gold etf is Just GOLD and doesn't require anything special. I wouldn't think SMSF complicates this at all, but ive been known to be wrong before.

3. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Go down to a commbank branch and ask to sign a warrent agreement.... once that gets sent through to commsec in NSW you will be able to trade the eptmag, eptmpt, eptmpd and eptmpm etf's from etf securities....

When you try and buy them it says - you dont have a warrent agreement right?

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

go to the mirror and slap what you see, then go to the bullion shop and buy real stuff

5. Wout

Wout New Member

Im not interested in GLD or SLV hehe, more inverse etf's that rise when the us dollar drops or as a way to play energy besides stocks

Ill have a look around the comsec site a bit more and try to familiarise myself with it, im very new to this as ive only had it today so yea

6. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

Good man :) I use e-trade global and IG Markets. IG markets allow you to trade all sorts of ETF's globally so give them a go, plus its easier to open an IG markets account, dont know if you can do the ETF's you want but you can give them a call before signing up and asking them. I trade some of the reverse etf's as well. Its an easy brain dead way to short and/or hedge. Just buy options on the ETF for extra omph if your sure of the direction or buy options on the double inverse if your REALLY REALLY sure :lol:

Out of those two my e-trade global account is better cause i need to call the trading desk to trade options with IG markets so its a pain however the e-trade account is EXTREMELY painful to open but worth it once you got it all done.

Its also good so you can hedge against your physical by buying those inverse etf's. People just talk physical, physical physical without knowing you can actually protect it's value using paper through a trading account via an ETF or options on an ETF ... why ride the roller coaster when you can ride the limo :cool: