Hi all )

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by SilverSerf, Oct 15, 2013.

1. SilverSerf

SilverSerf Member

Hi there,

Gentleman of non-descript years and appearance seeking companionship with a view to.... errm sorry... wrong forum :D

Right then - Hi fellow PM Connoisseurs (read: addicts) of whatever level of involvement (entrapment) :)

I'm from (occasionally) sunny Victoria - live down the Peninsula overlooking Westernport Bay and work at one of our wonderful institutes of higher learning primarily as a Researcher but I do have to deal with the wildlife once or twice a year for Prac classes.

A couple of years ago I was looking for a more practical way to save (spend) my little bits of spare change each week and stumbled across on article somewhere promoting investment in Silver (Yes I know, but please keep the face palms to a minimum).
    My exposure to and knowledge of investment (other than our own house and standard bank savings) was strictly zero and the shinies in the pictures accompanying the article were so pretty I had to have some of my own.
    I found a company online where you could send them numbers from your bank account (fiat?) and they would send you shinies. Needless to say, and I'm sure as no surprise to the members here, I was hooked.
    In the last couple of months I've become aware that the prices I pay for premium + postage or storage have been needlessly high so have recently re-prioritised my purchasing from a semi-numi (Shinies! mmm) to a low premium base using a local very well know dealer (Hi GS ;P).

I started following Silver Stackers back then but never was brave enough to join and contribute - I always felt like such a newb and it was just a little hobby for me but you guys have kept me informed and at times utterly amused/bemused with your threads so I wished to say thankyou all and keep up the good work. I love the interaction between the 'to the moon' guys and the 'sideways forever' cadre (nods to Court Jester et al) that have developed over the last 6 to 9 months and the analysis and by-play from the other active members.

So thanks for the education and entertainment thus far and thanks in advance for the advice/debate/derision to come.

Serf-er.

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice first post.

Glad to see we finally have a few Victorians bolstering the forum numbers :p

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice intro!

Some of those 'investment products' weren't so bad, a friend got a subscription to one as a gift, each month they would send something like an ordinary Kookaburra with something like a photo of a Kookaburra, or a copy of a newspaper article or something gimmiky like that, all for only $100! Absolute rubbish but going back through it he came across one of the coins which was the Redback Spider (and and copy of a newspaper clipping about them). Granted nothing else was worth anything like that.

I don't fall into either camp, I came along at $14 an ounce, before silver was an investment, it was just a store of wealth when I started, a way to prevent inflation from eating away your buying power. I also love the 'to da moon' and the 'sideways' banter, especially as it is conjecture on both sides but they all seem to get very excited about it. I remember checking spot every few minutes as it was going up to $50, just waiting to sell half my stack, of course it never got there but it sure was fun!

4. baja

baja New Member

Welcome to the Forum ! :)

5. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello and welcome :)