GSR at 38...What are you buying? Gold or Silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Rothbard, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

With the GSR in the 38 range I am curious where people are putting their fiat?

My fortnightly buy period is looming and it seems that gold is better value right now compared to recent months.

Or is the GSR going to tighten further?

What are your thoughts?

2. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just bought some Gold off my favourite supplier Steve.

I'm sticking with Gold because of personal preference. I'm not knocking Silver by any stretch of the imagination. Both are sound purchases IMHO.

A comment I had on one of my youtube video's said that they'd be buying my gold when the GSR is 10:1. I think not ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ4qrcHyYj4[/youtube]

3. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

gold atm..
    spot is sub 1400...bargain
    especially with AUD = $1.02US

4. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Well I'm still buying Silver, yet to delve into Gold...may just get into some exposure through the stocks instead...

I feel Silver will see a correction once it hits $40 and may drop 10-20% which would be quite healthy,

I feel Gold will play catch up for now and is probably a bit underbought and will have a better year this year than last year, even though it still had a decent year in 2010.

I then expect Silver to continue its crazy uptrend from the middle of the year right through till Christmas.

5. Gold Kiwi

Gold Kiwi New Member Silver Stacker

I was about to pull the trigger on a big silver purchase last year then I read about the concept of Free Gold. I did a lot more reading and my mind was made up. I actually started out stacking silver (I've got 64oz of it) but am essentially a gold stacker now. I'm willing to forgo the short term gains I would have made had I continued down the silver stacking path, in the belief that gold will be the right choice in the end game. This is just my belief and I could be wrong, but that's the decision I've made.

6. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not that long ago Gold was $1500 Aussie. Current price is a steal spanks to the current AU:US exchange rate. :D

7. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

I'm 100% silver but must admit that for the first time I've been seriously considering gold.

Still haven't bought any though.

C

8. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

100% silver as I believe it has a shinier future... hasn't let me down yet

9. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

If you don't have Gold AT ALL... this is a good time to get some with price below $1400.

If you already have some Gold, this is a great time to buy silver with GSR above 15:1

10. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

I'm new to this but wouldn't it be a good idea to have some sort of diversification and buy abit of both.

Right now Silver is going through a crazy run but who's to say when it stops and gold takes off on another bull run.

11. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Doesn't really matter. Gold would just be catching up the gains Silver made in 2010. 80% compared to Golds 25%. Would be a good time to stock up on more Silver if it consolidates for a few months. You can look at it being a pro or a con.

12. itsmadeofAWESOME

itsmadeofAWESOME New Member

I want to buy some gold, because I don't have any, but it just seems difficult for me to pay 1400 dollars for something so tiny. It's psychologically hard to deal with for some reason.
    But once I save up the cash, in maybe a month or so, I'm probably going to get half an ounce.

13. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Thats the #1 reason I don't buy Gold. Some may its stupid, but it is what it is, can't help it.

14. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

But that is the whole point of gold. It packs in so much value for something so little =D.

In times of chaos, you want to be able to move your whole stack easily.

Slam

15. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

lol - well if he hasn't bought if off ya at 10:1 i MAY offer to buy some off of ya at GSR 5:1 :)

16. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

No not really. Silver will go up if and when gold goes up, although sometimes it may lag a bit behind for a short while.

Silver is going through a crazy run simply because its crazily undervalued! It still is severely undervalued - both compared to gold as well as fiat.

its a no-brainer really!

17. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Hey please dont think i'm knocking gold, but if you really want to own gold for this as well as the other numerous good reasons to own gold, then why not buy silver now while its still grossly undervalued?

That way, you will own 3 to 4 times as much gold when you later on swap your silver out for gold!
    The GSR WILL drop much much further - i predict to at least 10:1.
    IF you're not so sure, then swap out at 15:1 - as that ratio is a no-brainer on the journey,
    however i believe it will shoot way past that still.

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Hmm I would argue that gold is undervalued as well - the POG should be much higher given QE, QE2 etc.

I think it's reckless advice to say "all in" on silver - it's very speculative. Bit like property, can only go up, eh?

I'm bullish on silver (otherwise I wouldn't put myself through the pain of creating and maintaining this forum), but to say one metal over the other is a "no brainer" - well, there's a generation of property investors wondering where their brains were at a few years ago to end up where they are today. Never lose sight of the fact that silver is a manipulated market, and the only time since the USD went off the gold standard that the GSR has been this low was during another period of intense market conditions with the Hunts.

Guess it all depends on your perspective - much of my silver was purchased at a GSR of 70 to 80, so I've already "doubled" if I converted to gold now. Funnily enough at the time I was spruiking how out of whack the GSR was, but people argued it showed silver was too risky! Now that the pendulum has swung, people argue that it's a sure thing! It WAS a sure thing, now it's speculative again.

Hey I won't complain if the GSR gets under 20 - but am I banking on it? No.

19. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

Happy with my silver loot. Started a little snifter of yellow just now. Will probably watch GSR decrease and change over some to gold.

20. Terry88

Terry88 Member

Don't worry I don't have that type of cash for Gold either. But, still being in Silver goes some sort of way of storing our Wealth for the future so it doesn't get eaten away by inflation.