Gold jumps $40 and counting...

Discussion in 'Gold' started by goldpelican, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

just read now that morgan stanley is predictiing an 80% chance of QE3 because of the job numbers etc. Gold silver: Aiming sky high and shoot!

2. Ossie

Ossie Member

3. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Just perfect, I was working out a deal with a guy to buy a few of his premium ounces of gold, never really finalized the price and now I gotta cough few hundred dollars extra (at least).

Oh well, it's only (paper) money ;)

4. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

If you read between the lines, you can see politicians, including Australia starting to position themselves for another QE. Lets hope Australia, spends QE funds on long term infrastructure.

Regards Errol 43

5. Reeve

Reeve Member

I struggle to understand, yes i am new to this, why people get so excited when it goes up and how they want it to go more. Wouldn't you, i mean i would, like it to stay lower so you can keep stocking up and then rise next week?

6. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Yes, it's the PM investors dilemma!

You want prices to go up, so that the stack you own is worth more, particularly if you want to trade or liquidate it. But you want prices to stay down so you can get more oz's.

But climbing prices also give you piece of mind that you've made the right choice :)

7. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

There maybe more behind it than meets the eye

http://www.alphavn.com/2012/05/27/a...com/2012/05/27/and-the-currency-wars-heat-up/

The Three Signs

The CME Group was involved in three major announcements this week, individually they mean very little but in conjunction say a lot:

The margin requirements for Gold and Crude Oil contracts were cut by 13% and 10% respectively.
    They announced a 5 for 1 stock split and extended grain trading hours.
    Both CME and Intercontinental Exchange (NYSE:ICE) were designated as systemic by the U.S. Dept. of the Treasury

8. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It excited SS stackers here :p . It has been a dead wood lately.

Now the prices started climbing up n "kooks galore" is here...there will be plenty of activities in this forum :)

9. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Options expiry? May -> June? Coincidence?

Slam

10. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

.M. Kitco Metals Roundup: Comex Gold Soars on Safe-Haven Demand, Panic Short Covering after Very Weak U.S. Jobs Data

Friday June 1, 2012 2:32 PM

Comex gold futures prices closed sharply higher, near the daily high and hit a fresh three-week high on Friday. The precious yellow metal bulls are right back in business as strong safe-haven demand and panic short covering put a strong bid into prices Friday. A much-weaker-than-expected U.S. jobs report quickly put U.S. quantitative easing of monetary policy back on the table. August gold last traded up $66.20 at $1,630.50 an ounce. Spot gold was last quoted up $68.50 an ounce at $1,929.25. July Comex silver last traded up $0.703 at $28.45 an ounce.
    http://www.kitco.com/reports/KitcoNews20120601JW_pm.html

11. possum

possum Member Silver Stacker

Looking good, hope it continues.

12. TeaPot&ChopSticks

TeaPot&ChopSticks New Member

$1630 - been watching the price from mid 1550s - was going to wait another week before buying but I think gold is going up !
    Scary to watch that price surge. G-d knows the price at the end of the year - been using up all my savings and buying now.

13. Gold Kiwi

Gold Kiwi New Member Silver Stacker

That's the key thing for me.

When all of the gold you added to your stack since August 2011 is technically underwater, you start doubting whether you made the right decision and get depressed thinking about all the "what ifs" (what if I'd kept my cash in the bank earning 5% and waited until now to buy, etc, etc).

A convincing swing back to the upside brings peace of mind.

14. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Wow, I sell a bit and look what happens ;)

15. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Gentlemen, please keep doing whatever you're doing :p

16. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

At last !

17. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg Member

When would they most likely announce QE3? I remember hearing June 6th a while back?

18. upandaway

upandaway Member

I think Fed meeting is near end of month Egg.

I'm not buying this as a bottom however tempting it should be. Neither do I feel The Bernank will announce QE3 in June. I just don't see we've had the scare where the week hands are really pushed out and the banks come in and scoop it up at rock bottom. They've been playing this game a long long time :)

Now QE3 is expected by this move what happens if it doesn't come soon? Gold could fall easily double what it just went up. Saying that I'm buying a little today as cover because it's still at a reasonable price here.

19. nowaydude

nowaydude Member

is this move up even relevant? any price prior to the announcement of QE3 should be considered cheap, as we all think that QE is inevitable, and we all know that the price of gold following QE will sky rocket. unless your following the tops and bottoms for trades, imo, the price of gold, irrespective of what it is in nominal terms, will be cheap for the purpose of hedging prior to the announcement of QE

what happens when china announces how much gold it has been stock piling? if they tell us theyve doubled their holdings, people will go crazy and the price will go up. its the average joe responding to headlines which determines the price

20. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Personally I think that they engineered gold to fall significantly before QE3, so as to take some steam away from it.

For them it is better that gold go from 1500+ to 2000 after QE3, rather than from 1700 to maybe 2500 or higher.

It probably relates to some BS key resistance levels on charts and all that ;)

Edit: Also, consider that gold as an investment is looked at on a 'annual' growth basis. Eg, if gold goes to $2000oz, that is up how much from January? But if it goes to $2500 it is up significantly more.

The higher gold goes in consecutive calendar years, the more attractive it looks as an investment to others, particularly for longer term investors who expect to see gains, and consistency. So I would argue that the Fed tries to break that attractiveness as much as possible.

Plus, in the same vain, gold is considered a measure of economic/currency confidence. They know gold will go up on a QE3 announcement, but they'd rather it didn't get too high. If they can engineer some volatility into the price of gold, they take away some of its credibility (maybe for fools who don't understand gold).