"Gold fillled".....much more than just gilt, dipped, or plated

Discussion in 'Gold' started by mmissinglink, Aug 22, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I recently learned the interesting and quite important distinction between "gold filled" and gold dipped, plated, vermeil, or other similar processes.

What prompted me to do some research into this?

I collect interesting medals. I came across this ebay auction 201238385503 (not mine nor anyone I know) and I was wondering about what looked like to me as a rather high price tag on this medal. I never really bothered to understand about "gold filled" though I've heard the term used before. I will provide the text and the source below of what is a very good explanation of gold filled and how to actually calculate the melt value of the gold. Do note that the gold on the medal in the auction above is of a higher purity and thickness than the example given in the article:

SOURCE: http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php...d-filled-and-how-to-calculate-its-scrap-value

So a medal which has a thick gold fill (1/10th of the total mass of a 120 gram medal) of high purity (14K) contains about a couple / few hundred dollars worth (depending on which currency you use) of gold in today's spot price. Now that's just the gold melt value. Of course, this wouldn't take into account at all any numismatic value (or the premium for other types of items) of the medal, watch, or piece of jewelry in question may have.

I can now better understand why the price tag of such a medal would be higher than I initially conceived since I researched and I understand about the important distinction between gold filled and other types of gold applications.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks.

I have come across 'rolled gold' before when someone was trying to sell me some necklaces.

Sounded too much like plating to me and I decided to avoid anything like it in future.

Speaking of things to avoid in the future, did you see how Apple managed to redefine 18k

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox..._trick_to_use_as_little_gold_as_possible.html

It is not like we are seeing Apple using this patent to make coins or anything like that but is it possible that a mint might decide to make a 22k offering like a sovereign but have less gold in it?

3. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To add confusion to the whole thing, we also have "gold filled" jewelry on ebay weighing 100g and selling for $20. It doesn't sound like there's much gold here.

4. mmissinglink

Genuine "gold filled" (a.k.a. "rolled gold") is very specific in it's composition (ie., 1/20th or 1/10th of X K gold).

There are of course sellers who are dishonest and disreputable who know the difference between rolled gold/gold filled and all the other stuff (plating, gilt, etc).

In most cases, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Now, on the other hand, there could very well be sellers who don't understand how to calculate the value of the gold in rolled gold/gold filled items.

Here on eBay, this seller may not have known the value of the gold in this older medal as the seller started the auction off at what seems to be a low figure and the winner seems to have gotten a good deal on this highly collectable piece: 142088708894 (put that number into the advanced search and check the "sold listings" box).

This other seller seems to have been even more unaware of the value of the gold because this medal is even heavier....therefore more gold content. Whomever won that medal got a really great deal (I'd even call it a steal): 331940951450 (put that number into the advanced search and check the "sold listings" box).

Knowledge is power.

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

One thing I will add is that 18K seems more common in Australia. if you look at A&E they seem to have rolled gold 18K - the discription imply filled but they call it bimetal
    https://www.aemetal.com.au/Webstore/c-325-ksh18ysss20.aspx

Another thing to remember is that not all ct are common in all countries.

Australia we commonly see 9k, 14k, 18k but if you read wiki there are some weird ct or numbers like. If you are bargain hunting for used gold jewellery it worth remembering these hallmark numbers. We have ti remember not everything have British hallmarks, and Australia had many immigrants bring over stuff from where ever they came from decades or more ago and its likely floating around.

I recall not buying a cuff link because I wanted a gold one and this came up, one of the picture clearly showed 333, I asked the seller and he didn't know much about it either, he bought a small box of item at garage sale and he was off loading the cuff and few items because he didn't want them. He actually wrote that it likely just gold plating. He did have a few hundred positive feedback so probably wasn't a scammer and if I recall correctly I think it sold on 1 bid for less than $10

986 (Ducat fineness)
    958.3 (23 karat)
    916 (22 karat)
    900 (one nine fine)
    834 (20 karat)
    750 (18 karat)
    625 (15 karat)
    585 (14 karat)
    417 (10 karat)
    376 (9 karat)
    333 (8 karat) Minimum standard for gold in Germany after 1884

6. mmissinglink

Good points Ipv6....I suppose the GoldnScrap article is written by Americans and as I am one too, it didn't occur to me that it might be different elsewhere. Us arrogant Yanks! :)

7. Golden

Golden Member

No problem, such coin would be somewhat bigger than usual, but they can't cheat us on weight.